Does anyone have night panic attacks? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Does anyone have night panic attacks?

handel
handel Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited February 2019 in Mental health and wellbeing
i suffer from night panic attacks, they last for hours and am exhausted after one, nearly every night, any help most welcome

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @handel welcome to the community! 

Sorry to hear what you have been experiencing, have you spoken to your GP?
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • handel
    Going to next week, not much hope there but will try, i think i am better off talking to people who have the same condition and be glad of any help offered, thanks for your reply
  • Ami2301
    Does anything in particular trigger these panic attacks?
  • handel
    when chest is tight and have a cold, looking for someone else who suffers from these attacks
  • Ami2301
    I used to suffer badly with panic attacks, medication has helped massively. 
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @handel, and a warm welcome to the community!

I really hope your GP can help. It may also be worth seeing if there's a self-help or support group near you: Anxiety UK have a list of these on their website.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @handel   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

I am one of the team of community champions . Who guide, advise and help new members who join.

Sorry what you have experiencing.  I am myself suffer from anxiety which has in previous times bought on panic attacks.

From my own circumstances often bought on by certain triggers.  Fears and insecurities.

Scared to sleep for fear of not waking up one time. Also experienced night terrors.  This all centred about my addiction once clean and had these vivid dreams and panic attacks.

Including sleep walking which was frightening . Coming into a room when waking up in the morning. Finding everything a mess.

So had to try to cope and find some support.  Talking helps me and also seeking the help and guidance of a mental health charity.

Used this one https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.

A lot of the problems did disappear.  

A lot of my problems managed to cope with first medication also speaking to them in one of there sessions on sleep.

That helped having coping methods and strategies to sleep and think of ways to stop been anxious before bed time.

Doctor adjusted the medication to a higher dose.  Does help talking to your GP.  Might suggest Sleep clinics been to one of those as well.

Now and again have nights where can not sleep but the fears and panics have gone.

Have to use and switch off before bedtime.

Plan for sleep and use what I have learnt.

One other suggestion is a diary was told to do one.  In the diary make notes what causes your panic attacks and are there certain triggers.

Hope that helps you.  You are not alone.

Pleasure to meet you.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • handel
    Thank you for that, will try what you have suggested, see how it goes, might be my chest problems as well

Brightness