Hi, my name is Retrovertigo! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Retrovertigo!

Retrovertigo
Retrovertigo Community member Posts: 9 Listener
Hi there. Found this place as I'm desperately looking for answers, and from some forum posts, it seems there are peope here who know their onions :)

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Retrovertigo

Good Afternoon & Welcome ??

Please please let me know what answers do you currently need ???

Not 2 sure about the “Onions” mind you!!!!!

@steve51

• Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Hi @Retrovertigo

Welcome to the community. We are a friendly bunch, do let us know if you have any questions. :)
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Retrovertigo welcome to the community! Would you like to tell us a bit about yourself? :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Retrovertigo
    Hi folks. Came here to ask advice about back payment on ESA, after the whole mess up with the DWP. Managed to get my answer which really helped put my mind at ease. I suffer from anxiety attacks quite often, sometimes over the smallest, silliest things :'( 

I didn't start life being disabled. I was an active person, who liked to be a bit of a daredevil! I was young and basically thought I was invincible. But that ended up being my undoing when I had a motorcycle accident.

I had to have my left arm reattached at the elbow, which means although it may seem to be a "normal" arm, it isn't anymore. I also broke my neck and my back, but thankfully the vertebrae didn't move and cause any paralysis. But they now cause me a lot of pain and I'm on pretty strong pain meds. 

I also damaged my legs pretty badly and so walking is always painful now. The trouble I face the most, is that dressed, in long trousers and a long sleeved shirt, is that I look "normal" and so to outsiders I look perfect fit and healthy. Which can be a real setback when trying to get help with benefits etc.

But that's enough for now, it's turning into an essay :) I've been this way now for over 20 years. In fact I'm coming up to being "this way" for longer than I was "normal" which is quite a strange feeling to be honest.

I live alone, but thankfully my cousin lives in the flat next door, so I have readily available help whenever I need it. Which is a huge weight off my mind, as I'm a quiet, shy person, and having somebody come in doing things for me, isn't something I'd fancy if I'm honest.
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Sorry for all that you have been through however it is great that you have a supportive cousin! Are you supported financially?
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Retrovertigo
    Hi Ami2301 - yeah I am lucky that my aunt and uncle are fairly wealthy so helped me out a lot. For years I had no idea about DLA or anything like that, so was living alone in my flat on the basic amount of money. They bailed me out so many times! 

With some of the backpay I have recieved, I intend to treat them, and pay them back some of the money as well :)

Brightness