Where can we buy second hand equipment? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Where can we buy second hand equipment?

Options
grannyDebs
grannyDebs Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I was wondering if there was an online community dealing with second hand equipment . My beautiful grandson just received his first bug mobility chair and my daughter is despairing at the cost of hoods and covers ECT . I have managed to buy him a cosy toes type thing my self . But the new costs of the other equipment is beyond us. Is there any where we can buy pre used equipment ? Many thanks in anticipation. Granny Debs x

Comments

• Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @grannyDebs

Welcome to the community.

Thank you for sharing this with us. Hopefully some of our members will be able to support you with this. 

You may be interested in contacting Living Made Easy who could advise you further. They are available from Monday to Friday, 10.00am – 4.00pm. Please call 0300 999 0004.
  • Mandr52
    Mandr52 Community member Posts: 23 Connected
    Options
    Hi GrannyDebs

I'm also new to this as my husband recently become disabled.
    We started hiring a wheelchair from the red cross, when I went to take it back I learned they actually sell equipment .
    We managed to get a lovely wheelchair  quite cheep.
    Also I don't know the area you are in but we got social services involved and MCH they did an assessment and got a lot of aids to help. 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @grannyDebs

Sources of equipment advice

Disabled Living Foundation (DLF) provides guides for daily living. You can borrow simple electronic aids such as adapted phones and magnifiers for 2 weeks so you can see if the device works for you before buying it. (You only pay postage to return it and a refundable deposit.)

The DLF also maintains the Living Made Easy website, a directory of assistive products, from clothing to personal care.

Independent Living gives unbiased advice about mobility aids and disability products.

The Research Institute for Consumer Affairs conducts research into products and services used by disabled people. Rica publishes free research reports covering many aspects of everyday life, from central heating controls to mobility.

Which? offers free general purchasing advice on a huge range of products that can help you live independently at home and make your life easier and more comfortable.

Aidas Trust provides free and impartial advice and support on technology for disabled people.

Remap matches disabled people who need pieces of equipment specially designed and manufactured with volunteers who can do so. Projects focus on mobility and independent living.

Instructables allows users to upload step-by-step instructions on how to make technology accessible for disabled people.

Used disability equipment

Disabled Gear sells unused and unwanted mobility aids and disability equipment. Users sell second-hand wheelchairs, scooters, standing frames, hand bikes, mobility and handling equipment, adapted cars and vans. Tips on selling.

Other places you can look for equipment include:
    Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness