Fibromyalgia — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Fibromyalgia

Wakemeup
Wakemeup Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi. Is fibromyalgia now considered a disability? After a year of investigations I'm told that this will probably be the diagnosis provided to the symptoms I have. Thanks in advance. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,338 Disability Gamechanger
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 118 Listener
    Hi so what does this mean? i have fibromyalgia and scored 0 ??? also have Complex ptsd ..depression..anxiety and panic attacks and thaey dont count either. i put how difficult day today living is and gave examples and still 0 points
  • Firefly123
    Firefly123 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    It depends how it effects your life to be able to do every day things if it means you have much more difficulty then yes it could be
  • [Deleted User]
    I am in a right old mess..using a mobility scooter ..mostly unable still to get out and if i do im ill after doing couple of hours ..in my pjs the rest of the time and usually 2 long naps daily and almost no activity ?
  • poppy123456
    The question wasn't about PIP, it was asking if Fibromyalgia is classed as a disability.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • [Deleted User]
    im sorry poppy but am I wrong in presuming pip is paid to those who have disabilities ? i am also sorry that i changed the subject of the thread unintentionally and i am guessing that could come across as rude which i apologise again if this is the case. However I was trying to determine the relevance of fibromyalgia being classed as a disability and i guess i was co fused as to the lengthy fight we have as disabled gaining PIPwhich i thought was a benefit introduced for helping the disabled and that is what i was trying to find out. sorry i brought pip into it now .
  • Kotaatok
    Kotaatok Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Fibromyalgia is considered a disability if you have difficulties as a result on a regular basis.

For example, if you regularly experience fatigue that impacts on your day to day activities.

As an aside if you are feeling trapped at home due to your illness contact your local NHS community restart organisation. You can self refer and your mentor with community restart can help you sign post local support services including form completion for pip etc. 

Community restart will help you access services in your local community and help you to participate in activities that can reduce your social isolation that chronic illness creates. 

Also they can help you find your local fibromyalgia support group.

If you want any more fibromyalgia tips pm me and I will help you if I can 

Fibromyalgia for me is a secondary condition that I have developed to a genetic condition. I have EDS Hypermobily Syndrome Fibromyalgia. +some other conditions 

Good luck honey and I hope that this response helps you  
  • poppy123456
    @vickyanne no, PIP isn't paid to those who have a disability. Having a disability doesn't mean you'll qualify for PIP. It's how those conditions/disabilites affect your ability to carry out daily activities against the PIP descriptors. If you don't meet the descriptors you won't score those points, so there's no award and i don't mean you specifically. This is where a lot of people don't understand PIP, they think that because they have a disability they'll qualify and this isn't always true.
  • [Deleted User]
    okay my mistake. i only know that i have fibromyalgia . i struggle to do lots of the discriptors and fill the form in stating this. at my face to face everything diasregarded and is omitted or lied about...result 0 points. i guess i feel thees something wrong that people like me can struggle every day as you say and have disabilities and through incompetent assessors dont qualify. that is why the courts are clogged up with people who do qualify really as 70% get what theyy are legally entitled to at this point . 
  • nickyj66
    nickyj66 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Good evening .I spoke to the advice burea today and was told if I ask for a mandatory they could stop my pip what I was awarded .What annoys me more than anything is that 3 questions I answered no to the assessor had stated I can that cost me points for which I had those point 2yrs ago .Im afraid to challenge them incase they do stop or cut me down again .Has anybody lost there’s due to having a mandatory .What would you recommend thank you .
  • poppy123456
    nickyj66 said:
    Good evening .I spoke to the advice burea today and was told if I ask for a mandatory they could stop my pip what I was awarded .What annoys me more than anything is that 3 questions I answered no to the assessor had stated I can that cost me points for which I had those point 2yrs ago .Im afraid to challenge them incase they do stop or cut me down again .Has anybody lost there’s due to having a mandatory .What would you recommend thank you .
    Hi,

Answering a question with just a no doesn't tell them anything about how your conditions affect you.

18% of MR decision change with a decision favouring the claimant. This means that most MR decisions remain the same but there's always a risk when requesting the MR. Unfortunately, no one on an internet forum can tell you if there's any risks to your current award without knowing exactly how your conditions affect you. So answering your question is impossible, i'm afraid.

What you need to do is look at the PIP descriptors to see where you can score those extra points for a higher award. If you decide to request the MR then you have 1 month from the date of the decision to request this. You should put this in writing, stating what you disagree with, where you think you should have scored those points and your reasons why. Adding 2-3 examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies.

• nickyj66
    nickyj66 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Thank you poppy .

Brightness