Mental health and reasonable adjustment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Mental health and reasonable adjustment

Meowreen0
Meowreen0 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited February 2019 in Work and employment
I'm considered disabled for long term mental health issues. Work stress, bullying and harassment led to attempted suicide  Grievance outcome says no mistakes were made at all. OH didn't recommended anything aside from listening to me  possibly mediation and phased return, citing the cause as negative perception although there is no suggestion that my grip on reality slipped, I suppose OH can't use terms about bullying when they only have my word. My GP asked for a change of role or manager to alleviate anxiety. There are changes in the team which means other work can be available at the same pay and level. My employer refuses saying I must return  to the exact same role and manager as my grievance is not upheld. I still assert the management style of a particular manager is not safe for me. Is this failing to make a reasonable adjustment? It's a big employer with about 150 staff and lots of money. They are covering my role with a contractor and regularly have temps. My next step is tribunal but I am out of sick pay and cannot afford to quit. The union are supporting but have not been successful in getting a change in role to get me away from the same situation happening although they asked.

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Meowreen0 Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

I am one of the team of community champions. Who guide, advise and help new members who join.

Understand the situation with employers and mental health my own experience.

I do know there will be members of our community or a member of our team who may be able to add further comment.

Be able to answer.  As you want the correct information and advice.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Goodness, I'm sorry to hear this @Meowreen0. It sounds like you're having a really tough time and I hope things move forwards for you soon. Hopefully our employment advisors will be able to offer some guidance, but please do keep us updated in the meantime.
  • Donisha_Scope
    Donisha_Scope Scope Posts: 36 Courageous
    edited February 2019

Meowreen0,

Thank you for your enquiry.

It sounds like you have done all you can to get the necessary adjustments at work.  

There are a few other options you could consider including contacting Access to Work for details on the practical and financial support available to help disabled people start or stay in work, or ACAS who offer free and impartial advice on all aspects of workplace relations and employment law.

Alternatively, if you are interested in looking for another more suitable role, you could contact Scope’s Support to Work service.

It offers 12 weeks of digital employment support; a tailored action plan, guidance with identifying your transferable skills, interview practice and support with CV and cover letter writing etc.

In regard to managing your mental health and wellbeing, there are a range of support services available to assist you.

This includes contacting your GP, Samaritans helpline, Mind, CALM or in the case of an emergency, NHS advice service on 111 (out of hours to help you find suitable support).

Kind regards,

Donisha

Donisha
    Scope Employment Advisor
    Phone: 0300 222 5742
    Email: supporttowork@scope.org.uk
    www.scope.org.uk/supporttowork

Brightness