Not able to get prescription — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Not able to get prescription

Bungalow
Bungalow Community member Posts: 43 Courageous
Hi all, is anyone having trouble getting their prescriptions ? medication not in stock?

Comments

• Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Hi @Bungalow

Welcome to the community. I am sorry to hear you are having trouble getting your prescriptions. Have you been in touch with your GP local or another Pharmacy?
  • Bungalow
    Yes, I haven't been able to get my medication for four weeks , put in another prescription. I was told to buy over the counter painkillers as there is a shortage? which just wouldn't hit the level of pain I am in sometimes,also told to check around the town if any paharmacy has any in? no luck. 

I have put another request in today to see if I have the same problem , was wondering if this is a common problem , apparently it is nothing to do with Brexit it has been going on for a while with not being able to source certain medication groups, it has got to the point where there is a chronic shortage of Neproxen and co-dydramol . will have to make an appointment with GP for alternative I think.

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm sorry to hear this @Bungalow, I've been through this myself a few times and know it's tough.

Arranging a GP appointment definitely sounds like a good idea. I wonder if you could try for an emergency prescription in the meantime. Have you tried speaking to the receptionists at your surgery about this?
  • Bungalow
    I have got a prescription now being sent to my regular pharmacy , that's if they have them in. They won't put them aside it is first come first served, it is so worrying.
     The problem I have is I have other medication on the same prescription i.e. my inhaler .

They wont split the prescription so they send it back to the surgery and it starts all over again . I have ordered separate prescriptions this time with a note attached so a least I will get my inhaler which is a preventative, I can't have a situation of running out with it. 
  • Bungalow
    Sorry thank you for your input :smile:
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Asked at my pharmacy about supplies and they had no difficulty obtaining medications.
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    That’s shocking. I think I would change chemists if you can. I can get other items off my list when some aren’t available. It’s horrible when you can’t get pain meds and then you might get withdrawal symptoms. If this happens out of hours you should phone nhs 24. Otherwise I would definitely see my g p or have a phone consultation. 
  • Bungalow
    Thanks debbiedo49 I have now been told by another chemist where i had the prescription sent to it will take 3 days to come through. I hope they don't run out of the medication I need by then so I am looking at 5 days . The good news in they have some in :smiley:
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Bungalow Please can I make a suggestion.  Have your prescription delivered.

There are many times I had the similar situation as your good self.

Now with out a car get delivered prescriptions. Signed to Patient Access at the Doctors. First contacted Doctors surgery. They send the details to you in the post of on line companies.

Plus signing in details and other relevant information.

All I do is send electronically a prescription to my Doctor who sends it to chemist who delivers it.  

After 48 hours.  Usually. 

If you work or do have to go out .  As they knock at your door. The chemist if not in will leave a note saying called and then you have to rearrange a time to be in.

Hope that helps.

I know might be a solution. 

May I add there are companies on line will do the above and post your prescriptions to you in the mail.

One final point a lot of these companies do also do a lot of other things as well. Like booking appointments.

Take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes

Brightness