Partner moving in esa — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Partner moving in esa

faydhar
faydhar Community member Posts: 63 Connected
Hi all  me my partner are.considering moving in together   I am in the support group of esa and have 3 kids   and he is currently not working due to being made.redunant  if he moves in will my esa  stop will I have to go through applying all.over again  I just want a heads up.so I know what to.expect thank you 

Comments

• Dotty123
    Dotty123 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    Think you’ll need re-apply 
  • faydhar
    That's  seems silly as.it took  a year for.me.to get in to the support group  my disability  won't change because of him.moving  in :(
  • Dotty123
    I’m not sure you’ll have to ask x
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,356 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

What benefits does your partner currently claim?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • faydhar
    Hi poppy he doesn't.claim.anythibg atm
  • poppy123456
    Then you'll be able to add him to your ESA claim, if he's not working. You won't have to re-claim. You'll need to contact DWP and ask for him to be added and you'll claim as a couple. If he starts work in the future then you'll need to report those changes to DWP.

You'll also need to contact your local council for your council tax reduction because if you're currently claim the 25% single person discount then you'll lose this.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • faydhar
    Thank you  for your  help that makes me better at  least it will be just the tac credit claim  that stops in till the new claim has started 
  • poppy123456
    Do you claim tax credits for a dependent child?
  • poppy123456
    @faydhar if either of you are claim tax credit (child tax credits) then you won't be able to start a new claim as a couple, once you report those changes about your partner moving in. This is because all areas are now a full universal credit area, which means you'll have to claim UC instead. Once you claim UC then your ESA will stop and become UC. Housing benefit will continue to 2 weeks and then stop. You'll then receive the housing element of UC.
  • faydhar
    I have 3 children so won't be pit on universal credit  yet that's what I was advised
  • faydhar
    I've just checked so  .I have 3 kids all born  before 2007 I also recive  high mobility and care on pip . So with him moving in everything stops and i have to claim universal credit meaning one child will get taking off .I'm absolutely  dreading going on to universal credit .the idea of having  no money for weeks while I wait is a big worry  
  • poppy123456
    The 3 children rule ended on 31st January 2019 so those that have more than 2 children can now claim UC.

As all your children were born before April 2017 then the rule where you can only claim for 2 of them doesn't apply. This rule is only for those born after April 2017. So you'll still be able to claim the child element for 3 children. If any of them are over the age of 16 and still in full time non advanced education then the child element is only paid until the August after their 19th birthday, were as tax credits were paid up until their 20th birthday.

Your PIP won't be affected and you'll still be entitled to that. It's not part of UC and will continue to be paid separately.

There's a 5 week wait for your first UC payment so you'll need to budget for that too. Any payments of tax credits and ESA that you receive after you've applied for UC will be deducted from your UC.

As i advised, you won't have to send in any sick notes but you may need to tell them that you were in the Support Group for ESA and a case manager needs to send over your details to UC for the LCWRA to be added to your claim.
  • faydhar
    Thank you for all the information  .It's very scary  thinking about the change over  I've heard some awful stories of people.struggling to live  while they are waiting  for their first payment  .at the moment I live day by day with money  so more.or.less impossible.to budget  for no money for 5 weeks . But that's how it is  .horrible relying on benefits I've worked since in was 16 I'm now 36 up in till  a year a go where my rhumetiod  arthritis  got quite severe so now even dressing myself each day is a struggle . It does feel.like you are punished because you have a life changing condition  :(
  • Dotty123
    It’s **** disgusting even tho there changing things they could pay you till sorted being penniless homeless is degrading and should be against law how can’t we do something bout it x
  • poppy123456
    There's one other thing that's come to my mind. Do you claim the severe disability premium in with your ESA or does someone claim carers allowance for looking after you? @faydhar
  • Dotty123
    I had my esa then just testyda they sent me severe disability form 
  • faydhar
    @poppy123456 I recive  severe disability premium  as I live alone atm but that will stop when.we live together 
  • faydhar
    @Dotty123 yes I'm.extremly  worried about having no money when we go.on to universal  credit .I have an iva due  to losing  my job and not being able.tp carry on paying all the debt after  my RA got too.much  I've had Ra  since I was 23 but I coped working  so inhave to Carrie on paying the iva .so if i have no.money coming in I can't get a Loan to help me cope  not only that affording to get to.my hospital appointments  while I'm.waiting for universal credit to be sorted .It's so wrong  assuming people have cash layinging  around  to keep.them.going  obviously the people who.decide  have never struggled like this and just assume people can live without any payments for weeks
  • faydhar
    Also I have a boiler that runs of electric  not gas .input in 35 to 40.a.week. of electricity  in  the.summer and in the winter around 60 to 70 per week due to the boiler. It's called a nibe. Fighter  many were  put.in to new builds as apparently they are good.fpr.the environment  but obviously  i won't be able to afford to have electric
  • poppy123456
    Ok as you're claiming the SDP then it's also possible that you're claiming this in with your housing benefit as i'm assuming you're claiming that too? I'm sorry but it's so difficult to give advice when you're not giving all the information. There's new rules that came out for those claiming the SDP BUT i don't know if they'll apply to you when you're partner moves in.

The new rule are that those that are claiming the SDP either with housing benefit or in with ESA/JSA or Income support can not make a claim for UC if they have a change of circumstances.

For this reason i'm going to advise that you get further expert face to face advice from either welfare right or a law centre regarding this. This way you'll be able to tell them exactly what benefits you're claiming and they'll be able to give you the correct advice on whether or not the SDP rules will apply to you when your partner moves in.

This is the link to the new legislation for SDP.

See link to find out what help is available in your area. https://advicelocal.uk/

Brightness