Severe disability premium — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Severe disability premium

ebeneee
ebeneee Community member Posts: 87 Pioneering
Hi to all,
The Scope site has been very helpful it has alerted me of something that i was not aware of, in 2014 to 2018 i was getting ESA and i was put in support group, i was receiving i think extra £16.20 a week, several post  that i have read on here regarding sever disability premium, so i decided to have a look regarding do i qualify for it, you have to be living on your own which i do, get enhanced rate on both daily living and mobility which i was until september 2018, i have appealed decision will be going to Tribunal sometime in june, i decided to call DWP and ask them what was i receiving from 2014 to 2018 my memory is poor and i needed some clarification i was informed thay i was getting ESA in the support group , i was only getting the standard rate of £16.20, i enquired why was i only getting that if i was on enhanced for both, dwp said that they will investigate this, but i need to send in tenancy agreement or a letter to say that im living alone from Housing officer, im just wondering was i entitled to this and will it be backdated,  any advice would be greatly appreciated Thank you in advance.

Thank you to the community of Scope for making me aware of this.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Your post doesn't make sense because there's no support group payment that's £16.20 per week. The best way to get around this is to tell you the exact criteria for claiming SDP because your thoughts are incorrect.

To claim SDP you must be claiming daily living PIP (not Enhanced rate for both parts) live alone, or classed as living alone and no one must be claiming carers allowance for looking after you. If this applies or applied to you then yes there's no reason why you won't qualify. Yes, it can be backdated.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • ebeneee
    Hi Poppy 123456,
    Thanks for replying, i was receiving enhanced on both daily living and mobility in 2014 to 2018, i am living alone, and no one is claiming carers allowance for me, i get ESA plus  as i am in support group i get extra  £32. and some change every 2 weeks, does that make sense Poppy 123456
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes perfectly understood. In other words you're claiming Income Related ESA. This means that yes you should have been claiming the SDP and it will be backdated to the date you qualified. Only problem is with SDP is because of it's criteria it's not automatically awarded, sometimes they send out the form randomly, mostly they don't.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • ebeneee
    @poppy123456 Thank you just needed some clarification on this.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.