PIP Assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Assessment

anniepannie
anniepannie Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I had my at home assessment today.
I had been dresding it but it was alrifht.
If you tell the truth about your worst day and don't go away from the truth then you can't be 'found out'.
The assessor was kind and understanding.
I have to wait now 

Comments

• Dotty123
    Dotty123 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,328 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2019
    When claiming PIP you should not base it on your worst day. It's about how you are 50% of the time in a 12 month period.

By doing this if during the assessment you're having one of your better days then the assessor will most likely see through this and think "you can't be as bad as you say you are, if this is your worst day" You should tell them how you are all the time, this include good days, bad days and better days.

Wait a week and request a copy of the assessment report from DWP, they usually go with the recommendations in that report.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Dotty123
    Why do they stop your housing benefit surely they can give us a home in this weather should it not be negligence leaving you homeless this seems very unjust thing to do to peaple 
  • poppy123456
    Dotty123 said:
    Why do they stop your housing benefit surely they can give us a home in this weather should it not be negligence leaving you homeless this seems very unjust thing to do to peaple 
    There can be many reasons for this. Your benefits stopping will stop your housing benefit but you can claim it through filling out a nil income form. Once this is done it will then restart.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • planes1309
    planes1309 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Took my sister to an assessment yesterday. My sister has fibromyalgia and arthritis and was having a bad day before the interview.  She really felt under duress and even I thought the assessor was trying to badger and catch her out. I had to intervene a couple of times as she was so upset ,  at one point I even clashed with him and corrected him as I had the application notes in my phone.  People are going to these places feeling stressed before they walk in the door,  he never had a name badge on  either , so unprofessional and people skills  0 .
  • Dotty123
    There just used no nothing bout you she went on for ages calling me someone else it’s not right 
  • SAMandCHARLEY
    SAMandCHARLEY Community member Posts: 32 Connected
    They say PIP is for people up to the age of 64 why is that and what if you are over the age of 64
  • Dotty123
    You don’t get it after 64 
  • SAMandCHARLEY
    What do you get if you are over the age of 64
  • Dotty123
  • poppy123456
    edited February 2019
    This isn't correct. PIP is for those between the ages of 16-65. This means once you reach your 65th birthday then you won't be able to make a new claim. After this age it becomes Attendance Allowance and not pension. Pension, PIP and attendance allowance are completely different.
  • SAMandCHARLEY
    Thank you Poppy it had me thinking because i am 69 so once again thanks
  • poppy123456
    Thank you Poppy it had me thinking because i am 69 so once again thanks
    No problem. If you already have a PIP award now then you'll continue to claim is for as long as you qualify. Do be aware that for Attendance Allowance there's no mobility part, like there is with PIP.
  • SAMandCHARLEY
    ok i will be aware, you are very helpful, thanks so much
  • poppy123456
    edited February 2019
  • thatcherbaby
    thatcherbaby Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi
    My daughter is on DLA and we was told to apply for pip she had the assessment in December and I got the letter yesterday saying she hasn't scored any points to be awarded pip and that her DLA is now also stopping when we went to the assessment the assessor was horrible my daughter was having a anxiety attack and the assessor was asking why all the time can I appeal against the decision as the report we got back says you can do this you need help for that but she was scored zero I am her appointee and I feel she should have got more than 0 points
  • Dotty123
  • poppy123456
    Hi
    My daughter is on DLA and we was told to apply for pip she had the assessment in December and I got the letter yesterday saying she hasn't scored any points to be awarded pip and that her DLA is now also stopping when we went to the assessment the assessor was horrible my daughter was having a anxiety attack and the assessor was asking why all the time can I appeal against the decision as the report we got back says you can do this you need help for that but she was scored zero I am her appointee and I feel she should have got more than 0 points
    Hi,

You need score at least 8 points in either daily living and or mobility for an award. Have you taken a look at the descriptors to see where she could score those points? Having some understanding of the PIP descriptors and what they mean will help. PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors.

You have 1 month from the date of the decision to request the Mandatory Reconsideration. You should put the request in writing, stating what you disagree with and where you think she should have scored those points and your reasons why. Adding 2-3 examples of what happened the last time she attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to her.

Send relevant evidence with the letter to support the claim because they very rarely contact anyone for any evidence.

Only 18% of MR decisions change, so you'll most likely have to take it to Tribunal.

I would advise you to speak to a local advice centre near you for help and further face to face advice.
  • kujaku666
    kujaku666 Community member Posts: 12 Listener
    Hi
    My daughter is on DLA and we was told to apply for pip she had the assessment in December and I got the letter yesterday saying she hasn't scored any points to be awarded pip and that her DLA is now also stopping when we went to the assessment the assessor was horrible my daughter was having a anxiety attack and the assessor was asking why all the time can I appeal against the decision as the report we got back says you can do this you need help for that but she was scored zero I am her appointee and I feel she should have got more than 0 point
    ~

hi thatcherbaby

we have had to go through this process for my son who had a lifetime award for dla 
    we thought he needed more help so had to make a claim for pip ,and they turned him down giving him only 2 points at the hearing and after mandatory reconsideration  
    we had to wait 17 months for the tribunal hearing but won it no questions asked and they gave my son 28 points 

please look for my full post on this  

good luck  with your claim and please dont give up on it 

steve

Brightness