Disabled mum hoping to pick up some tips and make new friends — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disabled mum hoping to pick up some tips and make new friends

traybake
traybake Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I'm a disabled mum of 4, 2 of which have additional needs. I'm not sure what else to say, sometimes I feel overwhelmed and alone, hoping I may pick up tips and if brave enough make some new friends who get my life without pitying or patronising glares

Comments

• blue_zebra
    blue_zebra Community member Posts: 74 Connected
    Hello @traybake welcome to the scope community! 

Happy to have you with us. 

I am a community champion here and am happy to help - just give me a shout. 

Kind regards 

Pandora

?  @blue_zebra ?
    Community Champion 

&

♿️?? EDSWarrior ??♿️

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @traybake

Good Evening & Welcome ??

I am also a “Community Champion”

Please please let me know if I can help you further ??????

@steve51

• Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    A warm welcome to the community @traybake

We are all here to support you and you will find some members with similar experiences as you. :) 

• Firefly123
    Firefly123 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    Hi I'm also going through a lot of health issues and am a mum of 4 3 whom have autism and additional needs. So totally understand how alone you feel and it can be so overwhelming I'm not ready to say I have disabilities yet but your not alone. 
  • maxilang34
    maxilang34 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    I’m a mum age 34 of 1 daughter age 10 I have a disability which has never been diagnosed & still don’t know where I would get it from from daughter has ASD plus few other health problems I just feel like they have all robbed me of my life & redeem I’m from Liverpool 
  • LaughingLolly
    LaughingLolly Community member Posts: 100 Pioneering
    I have been disabled for about 25 years. My oldest has severe autism and learning delay and my youngest teen has a currently undiagnosed condition which makes her fired.  I feel you need so many life hacks to  be a parent with a child let alone a parent with a disabled child. I'd love to write a book about life hacks for parents with disabilities. 

To be a parent with a disability you have to have a different kind set entirely. It's like going into and staying in survival mode.Normally parenting in the UK does not involve those skills. However, if you're determined to do it and you feel it's worth the effort you can survive. 

Perhaps people can share skills on this thread in order to keep it.positjve? Mostly parenting under extreme conditions is about practicalities and attitude. Do you agree?
    A laugh a day keeps the psychiatrist at bay. 
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello

Welcome to the community. Why don’t you try seeing if you can make friends with like minded people. Are you a member of any disability support groups or not? That is a good starting point for friendships and connections as well. 
    DS and DD are disabled.
    Before they were born I joined a online support group for parents and started expanding my network. Some of my closest friends also had babies in the NICU after birth.
    Support makes all the difference. I honestly don’t think that I could have coped over the past year and a half without them as my sounding board. I’m also a member of the homeschooling community and my church family are generally speaking supportive of our family. You need to find support. You can’t do it alone. No one can.
    Especially when it comes to benefits. 
  • blue_zebra
    blue_zebra Community member Posts: 74 Connected
    Hi @LaughingLolly I am in a similar position as you,  I am happy to chat. 

Kind regards 

Pandora 

?  @blue_zebra ?
    Community Champion 

&

♿️?? EDSWarrior ??♿️

• LaughingLolly
    LaughingLolly Community member Posts: 100 Pioneering
    @blue_zebra. No. Mine are 15 & 16 now so I'm pretty much done with all the hard work :smile:
    A laugh a day keeps the psychiatrist at bay. 
  • EricaMcD
    EricaMcD Community member Posts: 32 Courageous
    Hello,  I am a parent Community Champion who happens to have a disability.  I have a thirteen and eleven year old who do not have a disability.  I have found that being a parent has been more challenging than I expected.  The challenges became more pronounced when my children went to school.  Before that I got on with being a parent.  When my children went to school I found myself having to explain myself to teachers and headteachers again.  I relived experiences I thought I put to bed 40 years ago after I left primary school.  Resilience comes to mind    
  • Abdi_Scope
    Abdi_Scope Scope Membership Team Posts: 265 Pioneering

Hi @ traybake. How are you and your children? Hoping you have been able to find support during this difficult time.

Thought this link may be useful for your children https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/70367/12-free-activity-cards-for-magical-family-moments

• Hallix
    Hallix Community member Posts: 12 Connected
    Hey,
     I’m a new mum who has CP happy to connect.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Hallix
    Scope

Brightness