ADDICTION THE UNTOLD STORY — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ADDICTION THE UNTOLD STORY

thespiceman
thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
edited February 2019 in Mental health and wellbeing
Hello my friends, every body. I was reading on the web pages and media about the savage unnecessary cuts to addiction services.

As some of our community know I am an reformed alcoholic been clean 12 years this March.  I have so much time for those in our community. Who are going through this difficult time and period of their lives.

I will always support those members who need to talk and sometimes feel the need to offload with their feelings and emotions.  Add to that the mental wellbeing and anxiety addiction causes.

According to media reports local councils have cut 60% budgets to services dealing with alcohol and drugs.

Because of this other issues are unfolding .  Especially those of our community who are elderly or disabled.  Because of reductions in budgets. Plus the benefit situations many of our community endure.

Cannot attend or go to group therapies which are there to help and guide those with problems.  Falling in between the system and just not getting any help and support they desperately need.

I know from my own personal experience I have a friend who is employed in addiction clinics most of his working life.  Been told he was made redundant .  His position not filled.

Absolutely shocking to me because helped me with my problems. Understanding those like himself.  He is now employed doing something else. Spending time not doing the job he was trained for. What a waste.

Must share also that do know after care is non existent.  One of the big fears is the fragile state of your mental wellbeing. I know this my many posts on this forum.

In the old days you came out of a clinic as in patient transferred to a ARP. Which is a Addiction Rolling Programme. Usually a group session.  Now been cut and disbanded.

Even my length of absenteeism some days have issues and know my own mental health.  

The problems are becoming to those who have an issue or a problem where to turn to.

Alcoholism is a disease and should be treated as one.

There are charities and associations out there that do good work in helping those to follow a path.  Always worth contacting many have sign posting to recovery services and are taking up a lot of the case loads.

One final point. If you think you have an problem with alcohol or drugs then seek the advice of your Doctor.  Honesty is the best policy.  I myself was not honest with my alcohol intake and carried my secret with me for thirty years.

Till it got to the place where I had to do something. You know what you are doing and the mental hurt and harm.

Now use my time to educate others who wish to be like myself. 

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
Recipes

Comments

• clarkjohnson
    clarkjohnson Community member Posts: 210 Pioneering
  • EmmaB
    EmmaB Community member Posts: 263 Pioneering
    Well said @thespiceman

The irony is that they cut these services thinking they will save money when in actual fact they end up having to spend it through other services eg ambulance services, NHS emergency room, benefits etc.  It makes no sense not to deal with the root cause rather than the symptoms...
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for sharing @thespiceman

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Benistmonk
    Benistmonk Community member Posts: 343 Pioneering
    Good post, similar cuts being made to mental health care, you can treat yourself online now. Like that is going to work.
  • thespiceman
    Hello @clarkjohnson   Thank you very much for support.

Pleased to have met you.

Take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • thespiceman
    Hello @EmmaB   Thank you for reply.  The need for access to get the help and support for addiction begins as many a case at over stretched emergency services.

The statistics for people being admitted with alcohol related illness are increasing.  Unfortunately many do not realise the serious and severe consequences of their actions.

Having been there with former friends who insist have not an issue.  I have to use I afraid to say often words then and still now.  

No one wishes to critical of a friend be harsh and be insensitive yet I have to sometimes. Because I see them as I was.

Try to explain the issues and difficulties. This is heart-breaking for myself as ending up losing a friendship. What particular hurts is the negativity and the deep trauma it is having on that person with the addiction.

You are helpless because you can say everything and share your emotions and feelings.  

Just hope and pray that they have to think it through. Stop the denial and try to consider their actions. Have acceptance.

That is the main problem.

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • thespiceman
    Hello @Benistmonk   Thank you for kind words.

I agree with you entirely.  About mental health cuts. The whole connection between mental health and addiction is becoming over stretched and under funded.

As I know too well.

Reason thank you for this forum . Can share my fears and insecurities, anxieties. My many posts.

Continuing support for community members going through the difficulties of addiction.

Pleased to meet you.

Take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • clarkjohnson
    I'm an honest sort of bloke worked all me life over forty years never asked for anything paid my dues like a good many others . Then I was diagnosed with penile cancer in September 2017 had my Opps and procedure s and because my cancer was a rare and aggressive type had to to have some lymph nodes removed as a precaution for future well being . I had an appointment last week and was given the all clear . Now I don't want a medal for what I and my family have gone through but it's left me mentally and physically drained and not the person I was . As I said I've worked all my life till the nasty disease entered my life and because my job was full on and needed a clear mind working on machine s etc I stopped work . Anyway after providing fit notes from my my gp for a period of time I was informed I would have to have an health assessment. I filled my esa50 form in and told them basically where my life was at and said I'd been on cancer sites and been informed 90 percent of people have mental and fatigue issue s following cancer treatment. I went to my assessment and was seen by a young woman and I thought how can she possibly no how a 63 year old man with penile cancer issues feels and all the emotions you go through. She asked irrelevant questions which I answered honestly and I left . Then I had a letter saying I could do some sort of work perhaps I'll get a job as a jcb driver I no a health assessment building that needs bulldozing . Keep smiling folks . 
  • thespiceman
    Hello @clarkjohnson   Thank you for sharing. Well done to you for beating Cancer.

How can I be supportive and help.?

I know the problems are a many with Cancer survivors. I am here as a community champion and most important of all. I am here to offer anything to ease the problems.  By listening and just being a friend.

My own issues are not important I just wanted to share.

Talk about the plight of many with addiction.

One thing I do know it is worth talking to CAB about your assessment. They can help and advise.

Many members have contacted their local MP to consult and inform what is happening to them.  Something to consider.

Please can I ask have you spoken to the Cancer websites for additional support.

Could be worth contacting for anything they can advise on further.

Please keep in touch.

Pleasure to meet you.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • clarkjohnson
    Thank you spice man appreciate your words I basically find myself in a tunnel world . It's a feeling like haveing two people inside one body . Even though haveing an all clear diagnosis is obviously a plus I actually feel worse than I was first diagnosed. It's a surreal place to be honest . I had never had any health issues before and hadn't seen a doctor for over 40 years I believed I would reach retirement age and plod on with my life but alas I find myself with just under 3 years to go . Hence I've arrived in the benifit system. I've been as honest as I can about my feelings and it's like they count for nothing . I didn't realise what an uncaring world we live in and after working hard all your life and need understanding at a low ebb in ones life they don't give a toss . I'm not looking for favours just someone to say you've worked hard over 40 years had a life changing illness it's time to have a rest and get on with the rest of your life . But in there world it's you can do some sort of work when the truth is I didn't choose to stop working in the first place a certain disease with a c word did . Cheers friend ?
  • thespiceman
    Hello @clarkjohnson Thank you for reply.  I can identify what you are going through.

Especially since being on this forum meeting many members like you self.  Who work hard and expect to retire and be happy. Instead experiencing the brutal harshness of the benefit system.

I am myself know having been in employment and lots of experience in the sector.   Including running a business. Very much changed and switched to different careers.  Even retrained and have loads of new qualifications.

There came a time for me if in interviews . Having not got relevant qualifications . Constantly every time even when I had.  How many more times you ask yourself.

Having tried unsuccessfully to get back in employment due to mental health, ageism and disability discrimination .

I use my knowledge and my life skills learnt through addiction plus other aspects of my life.  To help and inspire others to follow a path. Help and give back.

If that means volunteering .  Looking at relevant organisations and societies related to my health conditions.  Something I am aware of and use to guide others be an inspiration.

I know it is always going to be and have these issues.. 

I know there always will be a place for you here . Some one to listen, be a friend any time to chat.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • clarkjohnson
    Thanks again it's just that if I was an employer why would they want to employ a clapped out 63 year old who's got under 3 years till they retire 
  • vysvader
    vysvader Community member Posts: 133 Courageous
    edited March 2019
    Hi,
    You're one of the positive examples that shows what's possible to achieve (and maybe, how), meantime, the success rate in the treatment of e.g heroin addiction (what's not alcoholism) is something around 2% (a pharmaceutist addicted to heroin which 12 times absolved an addiction camp and then took heroin again, this one, he told me). Too, I'd met another guy which lost 20kg (other rather gain) and got some secondary health issues after 3 weeks without heroin... I don't wanna say that the people shouldn't get help, I think that the social system is build to help ill or otherwise struggling people, not just the overcrowded and expensive administrative taking care of it, I wanna say that they discarded the people that's not the same like thinking that they just overlooked the situation (you're correct that the savings are counter-productive, the difference will compensate in other services if they don't get these but only while they are alive and the hardest cases live much shorter without the support, their life span is much shorter and this will make it even much shorter. It's dependent on what and who they particularly stop with, particularly. If they didn't wanna show who's it about then they had to stop it all. Maybe, we can think it's awkward, but if it's flattened, for all including alcoholics then none asks awkward questions, questions about the more vulnerable groups, the talks are elsewhere, the whole topic is elsewhere). 
    You can feel free to get in touch 
  • thespiceman
    Hello @vysvader Thank you for sharing that with me. I am always concerned as I am with any addiction. Especially just in the media the announcement of violent crime associated with drugs.

One of the big issues is the treatment and after care the given support and advice of any drug addiction is being drowned out by the cost cutting exercises of many councils.  Also may add also alcoholism as well is being given the brush off by many councils who can not afford the costs.

All I know we are in a epidemic .

One of the sad things in the addiction community  those who provide the treatment, aftercare. Counselling are them selves have had problems with addiction.

Have ended up clean and started to heal and inspire others to follow. You always following some one in addiction. Whether drugs or alcohol.

What is poignant and sad is the employees of these centres are being made to apply again for those few vacancies .  Only this has been a disaster because those with qualifications get the position vacant when there are those who have life experience.

Thank you for saying about me one of the positive examples. Yes maybe I am but it is every day the urge and itch to have a drink.

Twelve years in March 17th . Coming up my anniversary.

Understand I have met members of the addiction community continue to struggle and heard a friend gone back to jail.

Does happen. 

I will continue on my journey as I do and still be there if I can to support those going through the difficulties.

Take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • vysvader
    edited March 2019
    Thanks for your interaction : )) Of course, if it's just not possible to finance it then... I met a council just once when came for a piece of advice about self-employment and really had to consider it straight away when I entered a walk via their long garden (similar to the High Park nearby the Knights Bridge), walked around a parking place building with a floooor for tens of cars (where parked 6 cars), and so far... Perhaps, this is a rest from the old times (generations ago), no new matters but either way... From year to year, they get more finances. I had to think to myself: "is it a matter of amount or is it a matter of proportionality, the proportions spread between the subjects where the finances go?". 
    It's very nice to see how you are well-informed, you listen to them, your understanding... That's rational and the basis of healthy and effective communication. I just hope that this approach is reciprocal, I hope that politics listen to people and are interested to meet people's needs. Is it? 

I am from a village were is basically nothing to do, many can just drink. I had been entertained by people sometimes walking on 4 "legs" and so on, but undoubtedly totally perfect. It was enough to think twice. I don't drink alcohol and understand the danger because I know the perfect ones (overconfidence is a world killer), meantime, I drink 4-8 coffees a day, I'm a "coffee metabolizing machine" (what isn't good as well and perhaps, I'm addicted to caffeine and nicotine but I didn't quite as you did so you have got my deep respect). Before I considered any drug experiment when I was young, I had got some literature about drug side-effects and psychedelic researches. Particularly, about drugs causing no physical addiction (yes, really, drugs like this do exist) like Ketamin, LSD, etc and rather of the described chemicals had also no neuro-toxic properties what sounds very good (at the first look, only, not later). The book was written by 4 co-authors, real medicine researchers but drug users at the same time those tested it on themselves along with some other activities, however, just one of them could finish because 3/4 died by suicide on Ketamin before their research about these "safety drugs" was ready... There was no addiction, but also the survivors... LSD-like chemical looked like a winner with a high survivor rate, no physical addiction, no neuro-toxicity but sometimes, on LSD-like chemicals, a trip should finish and doesn't, it doesn't completely end, it just continues on its own psychedelic way without any new LSD and none says you about that you shouldn't test it when you're under a strong stress... Yea, 13 years ago I visited a hospital, I wasn't there because of addiction but half of the hospitalized were addicted to alcohol, pervitin, cocaine, and heroin (because all were taking the same prescribed medicine as the second half, both groups connected to dopamine).

Best regards,
    J. Vysvader
  • thespiceman
    Hello @vysvader Thank you for your post. Interesting what you have written and thank you for talking about your experiences.

One of the issues may I add is there are those who are in this trap of addiction. Continue to take the drugs or alcohol or a mix.

In this village I reside in are such members of the community.  Never ever think about going to go on the journey of recovery.

Because as they age older the oblivious signs are there for the trauma they are going through

I do continue to support every one who has an addiction no matter how and what they are. 

It is a small number that I talk about , some have the audacity. To spoke ill of me and consider me the enemy which is always sad to hear.

Had one such member of my village turn up at my home with a four pack thinking he could continue .  In my home his Mother thrown him out.

As the big debate rumbles on about the situation we are in.

You mentioned drugs and the trials I do know so much is being looked at the health and safety aspect of any such procedures.

Understand this in my opinion .  Every time we buy a drug there are warnings no matter what on the packet. Side effects.

As for recreational drugs like you have described, I know my own issues.

Lots of it has been written about and continue to be a source of opinion and much debate.

All I do know going from one addiction to another was a enough for me.

Tea and Coffee has caffeine in it and we all know even that gets to me.

All I can add is any thing can be become a problem and turn into an addiction.

Went to a conference in Birmingham few years ago. So many listed .

Shopping, Bingo, Gaming, Stratch Cards, Sex, Gyms, Exercise, Gambling. Just a few.

Pleasure to talk to you.

Take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • vysvader
    edited March 2019
    Nice to see
  • vysvader
    edited March 2019
    Thanks, in theory, if you're really very vulnerable to addictions then you're supposed to incline and find a pleasure in learning new languages, math, programming, cryptography, etc... The point is that when mathematicians or programmers spend a really long time by solving the hardest tasks (what can initially look disgusting) then the brain limbic system will give them much bigger rewards in the same way like when solving sudoku if they are of the same kind as you. It works on the same basis as video games, sudoku, etc... It will help you to reframe your focus.

Yea, all the time, I see the same. If I don't know what powdered goodness (not just the alcohol, daily) the people (and how many) of them were on a daily basis breakfasting then I could wonder, but... 

The council election is due in May and now is exactly the time when the local politics will search for symbiotic support. If the councils really follow with such smoothness, in-depth reforms, and easiness in the mind then it indicates that they were also suddenly and very unexpectedly surprised from the public reaction which actually welcomes the savings rather than inspires a protest or even a deeper public discussion (there's a lot of people having the same opinion as you but you're the first who I saw talking about and openly disputing to show a resistance). The politics aren't a scaredy-cat, they're communicative, agreeable, and some of them promise even what they can't and don't give : )) if will see that it has got real support (that it's really a good deal to make a pact if it's really backed by the public opinion). And if the things will go wrong... If you know what you're doing then you don't even need anyone from the Scope, for a few councils... a few people (2-6) is enough, it must really be more than enough (if you've got the sole of an activist, if you're an activist then it's enough). You can get 1000 flyers for 10 pounds, transparent almost for free, or you can just talk and pick up petitions personally, or online send them emails like via Care2 (they sign it digitally and you'll have also support from surrounded activists). When I was collecting signatures for a petition so for first, I'd to persuade the people and get them on my side. Consequently, if I succeed they gave me a signature. You are experienced, well-trained, and paid team. I did it for free, was untrained, non-charismatic, the people didn't like me and none of them was a friend/ally, the topic was the least one supported by the public which I might choose from (I got the worst one) and either way, I collected 43 signatures per ~40 minutes. People around you and maybe even you personally manage social media accounts much bigger than mine. I got thousands of daily views on my non-sympathetic, commercial, and non-experienced campaigns without ads on a Facebook page which has got only 1.6K likes. You've got thousands and thousands of loyal supporters, plus the vast majority of the public opinion... Any idea? 

Best regards,
    J. Vysvader

Brightness