Tribunal overturned PIP decision - what happens next? - Page 4 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Tribunal overturned PIP decision - what happens next?

124»

Comments

• noluckatall
    noluckatall Community member Posts: 19 Listener
    As he stays with you then this gis classed as living with you, so you won't be entitled to claim the SDP. Also if you're claiming 25% council tax reduction then you need to report those changes to your local council.

Here's a link that explains carers allowance and the eligibility criteria. https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/money-legal/benefits-entitlements/carers-allowance/

Hi poppy 
    I just read on gov.uk that you can get SDP if u been unable to work for more than a year my claim has been active from August 2017 so is there a chance I could get
    Here's screen shot
  • noluckatall
    noluckatall Community member Posts: 19 Listener
    You maybe entitled to claim severe disability premium (SDP)  on top of your ESA but that will depend what you mean by "your brother stays with you" Does he have his own home? Pays council tax where he lives?

If he claims carers allowance for you then you won't be able to claim the SDP.

Either way, you'll need to wait for the DWP to send your award letter to you and this can take 8 weeks. Once you receive this then you should get further face to face advice about the SDP.
    Forgot to say he doesn't claim career's allowance 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,343 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2019
    What is read about the SDP is incorrect. To claim this you must live alone or be classed as living alone. It's nothing to do with being unable to work for more than a year.

This was taken from the above link.
    To get a Severe Disability Premium (SDP), the following must also apply:

If you are single:
    • You must be getting a qualifying benefit, and
    • No one must be getting Carer’s Allowance or Carers Element of Universal Credit for looking after you, and
    • You must be living alone (have no non-dependents aged 18 or over living with you for example, an adult son , daughter or parent ), unless they are also receiving a qualifying disability benefit or are registered blind)
    Unless your brother receives either PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care then you won't be entitled to claim this.

I'm not sure where you got that information from above but it's not the criteria for SDP because it mentions the working tax credits disability element and that's not part of SDP.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.