Where to find new laptop .. ? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Where to find new laptop .. ?

MKMale
MKMale Community member Posts: 24 Courageous
Hello,
Sorry if I should ask this somewhere else but. My computer has died and I am desperately trying to find if there any help. Cost is a big issue as I'm only getting benefits. Can anyone help, suggestions ir ideas?
Apologies if I am not making sense or if I shouldn't have asked.....
Desperately hoping...
Drew

Comments

• exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering
    Hi @MKMale…..no need to panic yet but can you elaborate on exactly what happened and what kind of device you're using?  It may be that the damage is not as bad as it first looks but we really need more info. 

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Depending on if your laptop can be repaired and what you use it for. Me personally I like my iPad seldom use my laptop just keep the software updates and updainup Tom Tom satnav
  • MKMale
    Hello @exdvr
    I have an old desktop pc and last weekend mycatm decided to take a seat on it (I was in the bathroom at the time) I heard a crashing noise and my PC ended up on the floor. And the screen was blank. Nothing i do gets any sign of life from it. I have even opened it to check the connection. I have been thinking of replacing it before it died and with my health issue I think a laptop would be best. I am probably wishful thinking hoping there was some sort of help for people like myself who have disabilities.
    Again thank you for your help.
    Drew
  • MKMale
    Hello @wilko,
    I mainly use it for general personal use, sending email, checking Scope and other websites nothing to complicated. At the moment I am struggling with an old 7" tablet that is outdated and too small for me to use for more than about half an hour.
    Thank you for stopping and your help is appreciated.
    Drew
  • MichaelKeaney
    MichaelKeaney Community member Posts: 11 Listener
    Is there an output for an external screen? that might be a cheap temporary solution. 
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2019
    If you are carefull and do your research, ebay can be a good source for refurbished  laptops and PC's
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello again, as you just use your laptop for general use a refurbished iPad will give you all you need having got both and use my iPad 99.999% of the time as like your tablet it is quick, easy and to use no key board to worry about.
  • exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering

Excellent idea that @wilco and @CockneyRebel.  It's truly amazing the advances that iPads and tablets have made in recent times, especially in terms of speed. The majority of refurbished ones on the market come with a good guarantee and at a reasonably low[ish] price.   My laptop is not particularly old but it is so slow compared to my tablet.

@MKMate….can you not alter the font size and/or use the zoom function to make it easier to use your tablet?

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.