Can DWP refuse a benefits advisor a request to use the "Escalation Route" in hardship cases ? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can DWP refuse a benefits advisor a request to use the "Escalation Route" in hardship cases ?

Options
Magnoliabloom
Magnoliabloom Community member Posts: 30 Connected
Joint universal credit  (UC) claim. One claimant disabled and did not confirm her identity. UC claim closed by DWP . Legacy benefit child tax Credit (CTC) terminated by HMRC following trigger from DWP.   Mandatory Reconsideration failed to change decision.
Benefits adviser contacted DWP on claimants behalf but DWP refused to "escalate"  case to partnership manager.   Can DWP refuse this request ?
We are preparing a tribunal claim against HMRC for termination of CTC  . Do not wish to claim UC.
Thanks you.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,025 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

You really should get expert face to face advice regarding this. This link will tell you what's available in your area. https://advicelocal.uk/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Magnoliabloom
    Magnoliabloom Community member Posts: 30 Connected
    Options
    Thanks. Yes went to an advice centre in London where claimant lives. Expert benefits face to face advisor phoned HMRC they said they do not offer escalation and we should contact DWP.  Benefits adviser then phoned DWP he was told there is no claim and therefore we cannot escalate. 
    Benefits adviser will help with tribunal form and will obtain legal representation from local legal advice centre.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.