Difficulty attending job centre appointments — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Difficulty attending job centre appointments

Brook1968
Brook1968 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Please can I ask I am currently claiming universal credit but am awaiting news on a work capability assessment to determine what group I will be put in based on my uc50 and whether or not I have to go to a face to face assessment due to mental health issues. But am finding it extremely difficult to keep going to my local jobcentre to see a work coach every 2 weeks until my assessment comes through, could I shut my claim down and let my partner claim universal credit as he is my carer.? 

Comments

• Tarpuk4
    Tarpuk4 Community member Posts: 34 Connected
    Hi Brooke, 
    My cousin has difficulties getting to see her work coach so now they interview her over the phone. Is this something that can be done for you too? She's also just filled her health assessment form in ready to be posted on Monday.
    I don't know what to tell you about claiming with your partner as he is your carer also.
    Maybe some others on here can help you with that one xx
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Brook1968   Pleased to meet you welcome.  Thank you for joining and sharing.

I am one of the team of community champions who guide. advise and help new members who join.

In response to your question I am unsure of an answer.  There will be members of our community or a member of our team will be able to give you an answer.

Have you spoken to CAB about your benefit enquiry. They have expertise and knowledge could be useful to contact them.

Please ask if we can help further .

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome. I understand completely. I believe you can ask for a private room for your jcp appointments as well. I'm not sure of the u c situation. Good luck. 
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Hi @Brook1968 How is it all going, were you able to get in contact with your local job centre?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

To claim UC you claim as a couple so closing your claim for your partner to claim won't help because the situation will still be the same. You can speak to your work coach while you're waiting for your assessment and explain to them the difficulty you're having about attending your appointments. It's their discretion whether they reduce your work commitments or not. If they refuse to do this then you're within your rights to request a different work coach in the hope your next one will be more understanding.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Brook1968 I do understand what you are going through with Jobcentres.

I asked for my support worker to attend any interviews with me when I used to sign on.

Had a meeting with jobcentre managers because had ten signing on officers in six months.

I have anxiety and it became worse which I know is very difficult for myself.

Had in attendance my support worker and we came to an agreement, used a private room. Plus asked for some support being there if my floating support could not be there.

I hope that helps you.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.