What is the difference between ESA and capability to work ? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What is the difference between ESA and capability to work ?

laucorfu
laucorfu Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi I am new here and very confused about my benefits. I have been off work since May, I am trying to get sickness benefit of some kind. What is the difference between ESA and capability to work ? I have a for uc50 to fill in, but it is really confusing and most of the questions don't see to apply to me. I am off work for Depression, anxiety, ptsd and alcohol dependcy. I cannot seem to get a straight answer it has taken this long to get a form and even my work coach says there has been a glitch with my claim. Thank you

Comments

• Tarpuk4
    Tarpuk4 Community member Posts: 34 Connected
    Hi 
    If you are experiencing difficulty filling in form, go to your local council and ask for an appointment with a benefits advisor/officer.
    They  will provide you with assistance and fill out the form with you.
    Hope this helps.
    Also if there has been a glitch with your claim, they need to hurry up and pay you your back pay too. 
  • laucorfu
    I am hoping so ! thank you
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Lahore @laucorfu

Welcome to our online community/family ✅

Yes the Benefit System can look very daunting to be honest.

I would be more than happy in helping you with things if that would help?????

@steve51  

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @laucorfu   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing. Benefits are confusing and complex.

I am one of the team of community champions who help and advise new members who join.

One suggestion is to speak to CAB as well.  As been suggested Council Benefit advisors. Often having some one in front of you explain the benefits you have issues or problems with . Can be a lot easier to understand.

Hope that helps.

We have information on our website on benefits if that may help you further.

Please ask any questions. Always some one who knows or can help.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • laucorfu
    If you could clarify that LCWRA is what I should claim, I think esa doesn't happen anymore ? I have the form uc50 so will give that a go, I have to say it's not the easiest ! thank you

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @laucorfu

I have found some info on “LCWRA”

https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/Long-term-health-condition-or-disability-Universal-Credit

Please please let me know if there’s anything else that I can help you with?

@steve51
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
  • worried33
    worried33 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    edited February 2019
    The main difference is your obligations.

Essentially you will be in one of 3 categories.

1 - fit for work (aka JSA)
    2 - LCW (aka ESA WRAG)
    3 - LCWRA (aka ESA SG)

If fit for work, you are expected to look for jobs, apply for jobs and ultimately become employed, they can if they want put you on the work program and make you do work related activity.
    If LCW, they can make you do activities that are considered to be preparing to go back to work such as working on your CV and attending work focused interviews.
    If LCWRA there is currently no mandated activities.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.