Motorbility cars — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Motorbility cars

maggieomx
maggieomx Community member Posts: 131 Courageous
I am due to renew my car next year and iv been told its cheaper to buy a car of my own than get one on motorbility ?
Im asking this as im loseing my income related ESA as im selling my home and will have over £16.000 left in my bank.
So if i buy a cheap run around car and insure it. And just keep all my pip to help live on ??
What are other peoples thoughts on this ???

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello, as you are selling your home to move to a smaller house because of health reasons house to bungalow.. You should look at what offers garages have at the present, the other day I was offered a new Citroen C1 4 door for £153 a month on personal lease over three years. Having to insure and fuel the car the only extra exspence. Get some quotes for insurance as this could be a stumbling block to a progression of ownigand running your own car. How many miles do you do a year? Where do you need to go, use the car for. How much do you want to pay for a car could you buy the mobility car you are using or an ex mobility car.
  • KG100
    KG100 Community member Posts: 179 Pioneering
    I've been thinking the same thing, do I renew my motability car next year or buy a car of my own ?
    I suppose for peace of mind it's best to renew it for another 3 years.
    But with the uncertainty of keeping the higher rate of DLA or PIP perhaps it's best to buy my own.
    Another thing I don't like about my motability car is that people seem to think it's free !!
    When in reality we pay quite a lot of money out for them over the 3 year contract. 
  • exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering
    @KG100.....very true....people don't realise that it costs £60 per week before even putting fuel in the thing.  Insurance may be a problem with me when my health problems and age are factored in, but it's a helluva lot of money to pay [3120+900pa] for only around 7000 miles per year. That's getting on for 60 pence per mile.    I like my freedom but don't really enjoy driving so much either so I may very soon be giving up motoring altogether.

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• maggieomx
    Wilko did i read somewhere that as iv been on motorbility for 12 years i could get help from some insurance companys ?? As i wont have any no claims ??
    Ir did i dream it ??
  • wilko
    @maggieomx, I would contact some insurance companies being honest and upfront your reasons for leaving mobility and seeking private insurance and explain why you have no current no claims bonus. Maybe mobility can supply prove of your claims history? 
  • wilko
    TypeI your commentI
  • wilko
    I have my own car and with no road tax to pay doing only 3000 a year allowance of MOT, insurance, breakdown cover,  biannual service if needed, tyres every five years and £60: of fuel per month total running cost about £1300. Might seem exspenceive but I can and do go where there is no public transport and at times to suit myself.
  • maggieomx
    Wilko how much do motorbility take off me per year is it £59 per month cant  check im not at home thanks x
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,340 Disability Gamechanger
    maggieomx said:
    Wilko how much do motorbility take off me per year is it £59 per month cant  check im not at home thanks x
    PIP enhanced mobility is £59.75 per week, not per month and usually a mobility car takes the whole payment.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness