Would i be able to claim for PIP? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Would i be able to claim for PIP?

tonyb65
tonyb65 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited February 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi everyone I’m suffering with depression anxiety and suffer panic attack’s I’ve been like it got a year or so and finally had to go to the doctors at the end of last year I’m on medication for it which doesn’t seem to be helping and I have a support Officer coming out to me this week I’m currently in receipt of universal credit which is covering my rent but it’s not covering my outgoings I’ve heard about pip and wondered if I would be able to claim it as I really struggle to do the day to day things people do normally and not covering my outgoings is making me even more anxsious where do I stand can anyone help please,Thankkyou.

Comments

• Jade08
    Jade08 Community member Posts: 27 Connected
    hello . I think you should claim PIP. You got nothing to lose. The paperwork take awhile but everyone on here are brilliant support. I think you should go for it. They also send regular text message to advice what stage you claim is at. 
    Good Luck. 
  • Hugo
    Hugo Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    edited February 2019
    I am at present filling in the form .As regards Yr depression [removed by moderator]  THIS HAS BEE LIFE CHANGING 4 MANY SUFFERS. 
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome, PIP is not a benefit to top up your income, but to assist you in your daily living and mobility issues yo may have and incur. To be able to claim PIP you should take a self test to see how you would fair in an acessment. Having done this answering the questions honestly as if you proceed to apply for PIP the answers you submit in your application from will have to be justified at your F2F acessment. You have to meet the PIP descriptors and not be able to do them safely, repeatedly and in a timely manner. Applying for PIP to try and obtain  extra money to top up your income is a foolish thing to do and built your hopes up just on the sayso of a friend or neighbor.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    wilko said:
    Hello and welcome, PIP is not a benefit to top up your income, but to assist you in your daily living and mobility issues yo may have and incur. To be able to claim PIP you should take a self test to see how you would fair in an acessment. Having done this answering the questions honestly as if you proceed to apply for PIP the answers you submit in your application from will have to be justified at your F2F acessment. You have to meet the PIP descriptors and not be able to do them safely, repeatedly and in a timely manner. Applying for PIP to try and obtain  extra money to top up your income is a foolish thing to do and built your hopes up just on the sayso of a friend or neighbor.
    I honestly do believe that other claimants like the poster see PIP as a fix to increase the household income. Cases like these generally fail but despite this go to appeal. All that does is make the waiting times longer for the rest of us.
    Potential claimants like you say should first of all do a honest self test - or maybe see CAB for them to assess the validity of a claim. 

As you say also, a PIP award is a contribution towards the extra costs that a serious long term disability brings with it. It is not a means to either avoid the benefit cap or indeed to provide the cash for the weekly bingo session/cigarettes etc.
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    edited February 2019

Hi @wilko and @Yadnad

I appreciate you're both trying to answer the new member's question. But please be aware of the tone and language you use on the community. It is not nice to assume a member is not genuine, we need to continue giving a safe and supportive space for all our members.

Many thanks.

• Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger

Hi @wilko and @Yadnad

I appreciate you're both trying to answer the new member's question. But please be aware of the tone and language you use on the community. It is not nice to assume a member is not genuine, we need to continue giving a safe and supportive space for all our members.

Many thanks.

With respect Antonia, the poster clearly indicated that the primary reason for looking to claim PIP was to increase their general household income. That is not what PIP is awarded for.
    Maybe I should have also said that they go to the CAB for someone there to help with their budgeting issues.

I’m currently in receipt of universal credit which is covering my rent but it’s not covering my outgoings I’ve heard about pip and wondered if I would be able to claim it.........….not covering my outgoings is making me even more anxsious where do I stand can anyone help please,Thankkyou.

• tonyb65
    Thank you for your comments and thank you to Antonia got yours I appreciate the comments but agree with Antonia it was only a question on where I go from here.
  • tonyb65
    Thank you jade08
  • djbantiques
    djbantiques Community member Posts: 43 Connected
    tonyb65 said:
    Thank you for your comments and thank you to Antonia got yours I appreciate the comments but agree with Antonia it was only a question on where I go from here.
    Tonyb65, best bet is to get face to face advice in your local area.
    Stay away from forums where everyone is a benefit and disability expert, not to mention judge and jury.
  • tonyb65
    top speech thx 
  • Antonia_Alumni
    edited February 2019
    Thank you for your reply @Yadnad , yes that would've been helpful.
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Hi @tonyb65
    You're welcome, please update us and let us know how it goes. If you have any other questions, please let us know.
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Hi @djbantiques thank you for your reply to @tonyb65. I think we have all come to an understanding, that we are all here to be supportive. Not all of us are experts and no judges and juries here :)
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Please do a self evaluation first. That way you can get a better idea. Take a look at the descriptors of each activity. This website is a good place to start with- http://www.pip-assessment.support/#main-menu

Answer all questions honestly. Take your time. Consider the implications as well. Good luck!! 

• tonyb65
    Thank you April2018mom
  • affii1993
    affii1993 Community member Posts: 103 Courageous
    @Antonia_Scope I agree with you it’s would be nice if people who experienced pip, the assessment has a nice and friendly tone, I understand people also try to use pip to avoid benefits cap and so but someone people genuinely have issues, and come on here too seek advice so please be nice and friendly 
  • elliebbe
    elliebbe Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi. I work, and recently I've had support from go and mental health team at triage as I've had sucidal thoughts all week. I feel lonely all the time, no matter if I'm in a room full of people. I don't go into town it makes me sick. I feel judged and worry about what people think of me all the time. My head is so full of negative words I aim at myself. I'm struggling to eat normally . Can I claim pip? I really am frightened of making a big mistake. My work has adjusted my hours, gone from full time to part time as I had a breakdown at work. That was awful .I'm on 200mg of sertraline a day. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,342 Disability Gamechanger
    elliebbe said:
    Hi. I work, and recently I've had support from go and mental health team at triage as I've had sucidal thoughts all week. I feel lonely all the time, no matter if I'm in a room full of people. I don't go into town it makes me sick. I feel judged and worry about what people think of me all the time. My head is so full of negative words I aim at myself. I'm struggling to eat normally . Can I claim pip? I really am frightened of making a big mistake. My work has adjusted my hours, gone from full time to part time as I had a breakdown at work. That was awful .I'm on 200mg of sertraline a day. 
    Hi,

Based on a diagnosis, no. PIP is about how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activities based on the PIP descriptors.

You must also have had the condition for at least 3 months and expect it to last at least a further 9 months. Take a look at the PIP descriptors here. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/Global/Migrated_Documents/adviceguide/pip-9-table-of-activities-descriptors-and-points.pdf

You'll need evidence to support a claim and a face to face assessment is most likely because most people have them.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @elliebbe, and a warm welcome to the community!

I'm so sorry to hear you're feeling low. 

You are a member of our community and we appreciate you. If you are having thoughts of suicide, it is important that you discuss them with someone who is qualified to help. Please call the Samaritans on 116 123 (free) or email them at jo@samaritans.org. You might also benefit from reading MIND’s information on how you can help yourself.

If you feel that you may be an immediate danger to yourself, please call 999 or go to your local hospital right away.

You've had some good advice about PIP from Poppy, so do have a look at the links. You may also find this online PIP self-test helpful. Keep us updated, and do feel free to come back to us with any questions!

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.