Links between gluten and peripheral neuropathy — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Links between gluten and peripheral neuropathy

Nick_Butler
Nick_Butler Community member Posts: 6 Listener

Hi all, does anyone know if there are any proven links between PN and gluten? Detials online are hard to decipher but my wife is convinced that trying to include less gluten in my diet will at least help to ease the pain.

I'd be pleased to hear if anyone else knows anyhting about this or has tried it.

Thanks
Struggling with peripheral neuropathy, getting me down and no end in sight.

Comments

• wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    Hi Nick, I have PN and I stick to a Gluten Free diet but I'm not Coeliac. My opinion is as follows: I don't have gluten because of stomach issues as wheat is more difficult to digest for me, it goes straight through without being digested. This is noticable if I do have the odd piece of cake that is not GF. So for me Gluten is an intolerance rather than causing an actual disease. My PN is structural as far as I'm aware. Caused by nerve damage or nerves trapped elsewhere in the body can cause it. Diabetes also is a causation in some people when of course diet would be important. Mine is better some days than others. I have spinal degeneration and adhesions in the small intestines, either/both of which are causing my PN. So I approach it structurally rather than with diet. However finding the right diet that suits you and let's face it most of us know what we can eat and what not by the reaction afterwards is bound to be beneficial to your health. It's difficult to say whether eating Gluten Free affects my PN. I know stress does, and lack of exercise. Whereas a foot spar, soak in a hot bath does help. Or treating the part of the body it's caused by with heat or ice as this relaxes the muscles, reduces inflammation which presumably could relieve nerve pressure. I've tried not to recommend anything just suggest looking at this for yourself. Your wife wants to help I know but only you knows what makes it worse or better. If you know the cause I would focus on that rather than the symptoms. Hope that helps...  
  • Nick_Butler
    Nick_Butler Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Hi Wildlife, thanks for the reply. As yet I do not know the cause, seeing neurologist in Brighton next month and then another at Kings in April. I will try the foot spa for sure, and if I find out the casue then I can work on that., In the menatime I'll try anyhting.

Thank you
    Struggling with peripheral neuropathy, getting me down and no end in sight.
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    OK sounds like a plan. Yes the symptoms are horrible and especially not understood by assessors. Not being able to feel your feet is not good for standing in a slippery bath and washing yourself without the risk of falling. Anyhow I hope you can find out what is causing it and find something to help. 
  • Mummyof2XXX
    Mummyof2XXX Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    edited February 2019
    Hi @Nick_Butler, I was looking in to this too, after going through unexplained neuropathy almost a year, I'm kinda desperate for any answers.
    Mine started suddenly and the pain has me in tears.
    May I ask how your neuropathy affects you? Like what sort of pain do you get? 
    I find myself searching the net for answers which is draining, but I'm lost for answers. I'm only 33 and never had any health issues prior to this.
    Im funding it hard not having anybody to understands and can be very lonely.
    My husband is very supportive but he doesn't know what to say or do to help.

Brightness