Universal credit and providing Sick notes — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Universal credit and providing Sick notes

Tarpuk4
Tarpuk4 Community member Posts: 34 Connected
Hello everyone
I'm just reaching out for some information regarding universal credit and providing Sick notes.
My work have now terminated my employment on the grounds of ill health.
What I want to know is, obviously I will continue to provide sick notes to UC but is it right that whilst doing that do I now have to start looking for work even though my doctor dayd I'm not fit for work.
I really would appreciate some clarity on this please.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,335 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

A sick note doesn't automatically give you limited capability for work. It's the discretion of your work coach what your work commitments are. Some will lower them but very few will turn them off completely. Once you've had your work capability assessment a decision will be made on your claim. If you're given limited capability for work related activity then you'll have no work commitments.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Benistmonk
    Benistmonk Community member Posts: 343 Pioneering
    They shouldn't really bother you so suddenly. As you were in employment and lost your job due to illness, they tend to reserve the bully boy tactics for long term unemployed. 
  • poppy123456
    This isn't exactly true because a sick note doesn't automatically entitle you to limited capability for work. Some work coaches are more lenient than others, if your work coach isn't very understanding about your conditions then you can request a different one.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Benistmonk
    I was speaking from personal experience, they never bothered me for 6 months after leaving work due to illness. As you say, I suppose it all depends on who you get as an adviser. 

Whoever deals with this case, they would have to be pretty heartless to jump all over someone who has just lost their job due to illness, bad as the DWP are, I don't think they have quiet reached that level of persecution yet.
  • poppy123456
    That's certainly the case for ESA but UC is different.
  • Benistmonk
    I thought UC was supposed to be a better benefit, at least that's what the government is telling us, they say it is tailored to each individuals needs and people will be better off on UC. 

• poppy123456
    Some will be financially better off on UC but not everyone.
  • Benistmonk
    I don't believe it for a minute, having watched the latest documentary about this benefit, I would say everyone on UC will be far worse off.

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/skint-britain-friends-without-benefits/on-demand/68038-002
  • poppy123456
    Yes, i watched that too but that's not true for everyone.
  • Tarpuk4
    Tarpuk4 Community member Posts: 34 Connected
    Hi,
    I'd like to thank both of you for taking the time to reply to my question. It really means a lot to me.
    I have taken things from both of your comments to try and put me at ease.
    I will soon be facing my face to face assessment for ESA which i am not looking forward to. I just have this awful feeling that I will end up going to tribunal. 
  • AlexNY
    AlexNY Community member Posts: 17 Listener
    Tarpuk4 said:
    Hi,
    I'd like to thank both of you for taking the time to reply to my question. It really means a lot to me.
    I have taken things from both of your comments to try and put me at ease.
    I will soon be facing my face to face assessment for ESA which i am not looking forward to. I just have this awful feeling that I will end up going to tribunal. 
    Hi,
    Ask for it to be recorded before you go and take someone with you, from CAB if you can. Take every note you have from your doctors and even a note from your previous employer saying why you can't commit to the job.
    Ask for the information to be read back to you too, they will do anything to make sure you don't get it.
    Also talk to them like it is your worst day, not your best as otherwise they will report only the good days.
    Play them at their own game.
    I'm talking from personal experience of having 2 assessments under my belt. 
    If you feel that the Medical Professional doesn't know enough about your issues then make sure they state that on the assessment too.
    Hope that helps
  • poppy123456
    CAB very rarely accompany anyone to any face to face assessment because they don't have the funding to be able to do this. They very rarely represent at Tribunal either.

Advising that you should make it your worst day is the worst advice i've seen, sorry. When attending assessments or filling out the forms you shouldn't base anything on your worse day. If you do this and it's not your worst day then the HCP is likely to see through this and think some like " if that's their worst day, then they can't be as bad as they say they are" Always tell the truth when filling out forms and attending assessments.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.