Web development and design — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Web development and design

markywebs
markywebs Community member Posts: 8 Listener
edited February 2019 in Education
Found this place whilst researching about working for myself with my disability and taking medication. Mainly, I have  Degenerative Spinal disease and nerve damage from the neck down. Been through the Gestapo culture what is/was DWP and eventually was recognized that I needed support. 

I am sure that far too many of us have had these evil experiences by the hands of others. (I have to say that I know there are 'some' amazing people within the DWP) 

Here to share and learn, give and take, smile and cry... 

I have been studying Web Development and Design within the scope of my circumstances and this has helped me focus and think about a better future for myself, a better quality of life. Wanting to take that small step forward now I know there is accommodating legislation.

If anyone is interested in learning these skills please feel free to reply/message me. I have taught myself :)

Thanks for reading my first essay post lol

Kindest regards to you all and thanks for having me aboard 

Comments

• Roddy
    Roddy Community member Posts: 445 Pioneering
    Hello Mark, I'm a 'Newbie' too and just getting to grips with the site... Web design eh? I wish I had the knowledge as I'm hopeless with computers (I can type, store files & pictures and that's about it) but I'd sure like to learn how to develop my own site and market it properly to attract the masses, as I produce glass art and have done for most of my adult life. Folks keep telling me I should have my own site, but? Anyway, stay in touch. This place seems to be cool...  
  • Adam_Alumni
    Adam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 164 Pioneering
    edited February 2019

Hi @markywebs

Welcome along to the community!

I'm glad you are enjoying Web Development and Design!

We are very supportive here on the community, Please feel free to join in our recent discussions  and read our community guidelines

If you have any questions, let us know.

• markywebs
    Hi Roddy, Hi Adam, Thank for the warm welcome :)

That's an amazing skill, glasswork, I really love a lot of the designs I have seen over the years. I do recall the glass work I have seen in Malta and Gozo..  In regards to setting yourself with basic web design it depends on a few routes, there is Wordpress (free) Wix (not a clue about that) Drupal (no idea with that too) and Square space (again never used it) Wordpress is the big one in all the options but you would need to look at it yourself.

There are two wordpress versions (wordpress.com and Wordpress.org) I use Wordpress.org as you can do amazing things and the community of developers who make third-party plugins are huge, its the future. You should type in google "wordpress for beginners 2019" and enjoy the journey. :)

it would benefit your trade if you want to gain an online presence and market your wares. i will be around if you need to know more. Good luck
  • Roddy
    Thanks Adam... I appreciate your response. I tend to be a 'perfectionist' with my work as best that I am able and so a website for me would require my total input. The artwork, fonts, photos etc. together with accurate & concise information is an absolute must. I suppose that I'm more worried about how to deal with any errors I make and of course computer jargon is alien to me. I am currently for example, co-developing the first online site devoted to a certain famous French glass working artist from the Art Deco period. There are parts of the site that I dare not interfere with or can understand, and so most of my input is translating what's there into French and providing extensive information & photos etc. 

I also wish to have co-ordinated music to accompany some of my photos (I have the copyright permission) and of course, the most important thing for me personally, is that I must have total control on what goes where without any interference. I cannot be bogged-down with terms & conditions which are not my own... 

I've looked at  'Daddy'  which was advertised on tv but I got as far as the front page and was left more confused than ever! LOL

BTW I no longer do glass blowing due to health, but am now designing quality Art Deco influenced lamp/luminaire glass panels for interior display. It is new project but is already receiving acclaim from serious collectors of period glass worldwide. I aim to launch the project at some point this year once I have produced a good stock of totally unique one-offs... Zzzzzz
  • markywebs
    Haa haahaaa, sounds like me Roddy, Private message me, I can advise in more detail. Happy to chat. Your project sounds awesome !
  • Roddy
    Ha!  Shows you how thick I am... How do I private message you? 
  • markywebs
    Makes two of us Roddy :), I do see an ' inbox ' cant seem to find how I would do a private message, I only ask regarding a pm due to the technical aspects and flooding them details in public.
  • Roddy
    The only thing I see on my profile page, was to make my email address accessible to all... Erm, I don't think so. Are you gonna ask via the 'contact us' link, or shall I?  I don't mind giving YOU my email address, but?
  • markywebs
    Your ahead of me Roddy, fire away, i am sane most days of the week lol
  • Roddy
    Have sent a message to one of the 'Scope-Team' asking how to contact you privately, securely and safely... Will keep you posted!
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    There is a qualifying period to allow the private messageing facility, I may be wrong but I think you need to make 25 posts
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Roddy
    Thanks for that!  BTW, I see Cockney Rebel live during the early 1970s at The Rainbow  :-) 
  • Roddy
    markywebs said:
    Your ahead of me Roddy, fire away, i am sane most days of the week lol
    G'Day Marky! 

CockneyRebel (see above) suggests that it may be 25 posts before either of us can message privately... I make that about 12 more for me, but you may need to get cracking and add some more! 

I've not heard anything back from Scope yet.

Best regards

Brightness