ASD Assessment - 3 year wait?! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ASD Assessment - 3 year wait?!

Nattie3
Nattie3 Community member Posts: 32 Courageous
Hello,
I had been referred by my GP for a “ASD” assessment. 
I filled out a very long booklet and provided childhood evidence and supporting letters, I received a letter back saying that I have been put forward for an assessment to help with a diagnosis, however it’s a 3 year wait. after calling for more information on the waiting list I was informed there was only 1 Dr dealing with all the referrals and that Dr is not actually accepting any new referrals till the 500+ in queue have cleared. Even if I was put down as a priority I still wouldn’t be seen any sooner!

its important to get a diagnosis so I can receive the correct treatment in my other services, my GP is also looking to get a diagnosis so this would help with the support I receive. There is a lot of other reasons why too which are personal. 

So I decided to look for private companies for to look for getting a diagnosis however the quotes have been over £1,000. 

Dont suppose anybody has any advice on this? I’ve been moved from service to service for years because I don’t have a diagnosis and they can’t seem to fathom what’s wrong. It wasn’t until I saw my new GP who picked up on my “symptoms/traits” who suggested it. 

Thanks in advance. 

Comments

• Paula77
    Paula77 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    I got I got diagnosed  in Dec 2017 by a mental health dr. I was referred to an Asperger clinic to determine if I have Asperger instead of Autism and a personality disorder. I phoned through to see how long I still have to wait and got told another year. It's so upsetting that the wait is so long. I really feel for you. For over 20 years I was misdiagnosed with first bipol then obsessive compulsive personality disorder.  So confusing
    Paula Sandford
  • Nattie3
    Nattie3 Community member Posts: 32 Courageous
    Paula77 said:
    I got I got diagnosed  in Dec 2017 by a mental health dr. I was referred to an Asperger clinic to determine if I have Asperger instead of Autism and a personality disorder. I phoned through to see how long I still have to wait and got told another year. It's so upsetting that the wait is so long. I really feel for you. For over 20 years I was misdiagnosed with first bipol then obsessive compulsive personality disorder.  So confusing
    Sorry that you had been misdiagnosed. really feel for you. I’ve been brushed off from many services again. Feeling like I’ve been misdiagnosed, in respect I’m very confident I have been misinterpreted by other services. I’m at a loss, don’t think I can wait 3 years! 
  • Xanthejay
    Xanthejay Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    I went private as I couldn’t wait on a list for two years. It is such a relief to get diagnosed with asd. There isn’t any support though, and I struggle every day.

Brightness