ESA underpayment - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA underpayment

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,029 Disability Gamechanger
    Another persons circumstances maybe completely different to yours. Some will indeed have large backdated payments owed to them, if they should have been receiving both disability premiums on top of their ESA but not everyone will be entitled to any of those premiums, some will be entitled to one and others will be entitled to both. You'll just have to wait until DWP contact you, then fill out the form they send you, with the evidence they ask for. It could very likely take many months to get through all the backlog for this. I'm sorry but i can advise you any further regarding this.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • pee14
    pee14 Community member Posts: 172 Courageous
    Hi will I be contacted by letter or phone call if I have been underplayed relating to the Sdp. Thankyou.
  • poppy123456
    pee14 said:
    Hi will I be contacted by letter or phone call if I have been underplayed relating to the Sdp. Thankyou.
    It depends on circumstances, SDP has other criteria as well and not everyone qualifies for this.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • pee14
    edited October 2018
    @poppy123456 Thankyou .But if would it be a phone call or letter I would receive.
  • poppy123456
    Could be either but the underpayments are related to those that transferred from Incapacity benefit to ESA.
  • pee14
    @poppy123456 yes I realise that my brother is one of them people. 
  • confused23
    confused23 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi I received a form ESA3 as was on long term incapacity benefit then moved to contribution based ESA in 2014 but some of the questions in the form are highlighted with a highlighter pen- anyone know why this is?  - can anyone help?
  • poppy123456
    Hi I received a form ESA3 as was on long term incapacity benefit then moved to contribution based ESA in 2014 but some of the questions in the form are highlighted with a highlighter pen- anyone know why this is?  - can anyone help?
    I'd advise ringing your local CAB for help with filling this form in because it's very complex. Even more so when filling it in with information for the past 4 years.
  • confused23
    confused23 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Sorry to ask another question but does anyone know about the fact that if I do complete the underpayment form will I then be moved to income related esa?  If so, the ‘entitled to’ website indicates this will be treated as a new claim as I live in a full universal credit area - does anyone know if that’s true?
  • poppy123456
    You will have an income related top up on your Contributions based ESA and you won't be moved to UC because it's not a new claim.
  • uknicco
    uknicco Community member Posts: 3 Listener

Hi Guys . really need some advice please.

I got this letter asking me to fill in the for to re assess my esa claim as I am cont based esa since June 2012.

wasn't expecting this so what does it mean. I am married and blind. my wife is severely disabled and she receives income based esa in her own right.

we both receive PIP and she has a mobility car. does this mean I owe them money or do they owe me a little don't know what to think.

if I am owed any money what do you think it might be knowing my luck nothing lol.

any advice would be so welcome.

thank you.

Les

• poppy123456
    Hi,

Those that transferred from IB to ESA weren't assessed for any income related top ups, they were just placed straight onto CB ESA. The only way to find out is to fill out the form and return it. As your wife claims ESA Income related in her own right then this will classed as Income when assessing any income related top up. I'd still advise you to fill out the form and return it. Decisions can take 12 weeks.
  • poppy123456
    ESA and PIP are different benefits and it won't affect either of your PIP claims, or the mobility car.
  • uknicco
    Thanks. So as my wife gets income related esa prob not worth it then. I did hear today that I would have been entitled to some premiums in my own right had I been migrated on to income based six YEARS ago. Don't know if this is the case though. 
  • uknicco
    Sorry to ask another related question. Does this mean I will now be forced to claim UC as this is a full area now. 
  • poppy123456
    Had you been claiming an Income related top up on your ESA then you would have claimed ESA as a couple and your wife wouldn't have been able to claim the ESA in her own right.

Whether or not you're entitled to any backdated money will depend on when your wife claim the ESA. As i advised, fill out the form and return it because no one on an internet forum can tell you for definite whether you're owed any money or not.

Filling out the form won't prompt a move to UC.
  • gardenmaker
    gardenmaker Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Can you help ? I have received a letter and a ESA3 form re: possible ESA underpayment from 2013 to now. I was put in the ESA Contributions support group; I am severely disabled and my husband cares for me full time. The letter and form are confusing. Can you possibly tell me if the DWP will make a payment if I was only eligble from 2013 to 2017? Do you have to have had low income and low savings for the whole period, up to today’s date, to be considered for any repayment? The wording on the form is ambiguous on this point and unclear. Thank you.
  • poppy123456
    The DWP will assess your Income Savings from between the dates in the letter. They are sending those forms to everyone that transferred from IB to ESA. It's impossible to tell you whether or not you'll be entitled to any backdated money on an internet forum. You'll need to fill in the form and return it by the date stated, then you'll be assessed. Decisions can take 12 weeks.
  • Gazza68
    Gazza68 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi. I filled out the esa ir form back in November 2018, as Ive been on contribution based esa since 2012. I was previously claiming Incapacity benefit before they changed me over to esa. My girlfriend has always worked between 12 -17 hrs per week and I think they take this is to account before deciding if I am entitled to IR ESA. How many hrs work must she do before this will totally makes me unentitled to the topup and underpayment.
  • poppy123456
    edited February 2019
    Gazza68 said:
    Hi. I filled out the esa ir form back in November 2018, as Ive been on contribution based esa since 2012. I was previously claiming Incapacity benefit before they changed me over to esa. My girlfriend has always worked between 12 -17 hrs per week and I think they take this is to account before deciding if I am entitled to IR ESA. How many hrs work must she do before this will totally makes me unentitled to the topup and underpayment.
    Hi,

She will only be able to earn £20 per week, after that it's classed as income £1 for £1 for the income related top up. As the top up is £16.40 per week from April 2018 (less in previous years) then any income related top up will be reduced to zero based on the information you've given. This is providing you live together.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.