I would really appreciate some advice — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I would really appreciate some advice

julesmcguire
julesmcguire Community member Posts: 4 Listener

Hello. My 16 year old Son was hit by a car 6 weeks ago and has sustained  a massive brain injury. He is still in intensive care, minimally responsive and on a ventilator, but he continues to make small improvements. I just don’t know where to begin to get support if we are fortunate enough for him to be able to come home again one day. Any advice would be appreciated hugely. 

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @julesmcguire welcome to the community! 

I am terribly sorry to hear what has happened to your son. I spent a month in critical care last March due to contracting bilateral pneumonia. I wasnt making much improvement until I was transferred to Addenbrooke's. I was on ventilators, had a breathing tube then had a tracheotomy.

When your son is able to come home, the discharge team will arrange an occupational therapist to visit your home to assess what your son will need to help with daily living.

Are you currently receiving any emotional support?

Thinking of you
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @julesmcguire

Sorry pressed the wrong button!!!!!

I’m very very sorry to hear about your son’s accident with this car.

I had my “Brain Injury”
    in 1998 at the age off 32.

My outlook wasn’t great but I have “ticked” every “Box” & “much much more”

I also made very very small improvements 
    every day.

Yes they will nowadays sort out everything on discharge so don’t “Worry” about that!!!!!!!!

Please please let me know if there’s anything that I can help/support you with 

@steve51

• julesmcguire
    Thank you. Really appreciate you taking the time to write 
  • KellyParentAdvisor
    KellyParentAdvisor Community member Posts: 32 Courageous
    Hi @julesmcguire

I'm so sorry to hear about your son's accident. You must be in turmoil? As the previous replies have said, much will be sorted when it comes to discharging him from hospital, so try not to worry too much about what's ahead and concentrate on him getting better. Once things have settled a bit, I'm not sure, but you may be able to apply for disability benefits for your son to help with the financial cost of care, as well as Carer's Allowance for you or whoever cares for him (subject to certain conditions). 

Take care, fingers crossed he makes a good recovery. 

Kelly
  • julesmcguire
    Thank you-that’s v helpful
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Courageous
    Hi @julesmcguire I am so sorry to hear about your son's accident, this must be an incredibly hard time for you.

I am a Parent Advisor for Scope for a service that is starting on Monday (25th Feb 2019) called Navigate.  I was wondering if you had found any answers or were still looking for support.  

We are a service for parents who have a child that has recently been diagnosed with an impairment or going through diagnosis, this can be from birth or following an accident. This is a digital support service and is in place for roughly six weeks. We are there to support the parent with any emotional issues or practical support that we can offer. As of Monday, we will have a link to a referral form and also a telephone number for you to contact.  

I will check this link on Monday when the service starts and if you would like to contact us, I will post the phone number and a link to the online referral form.

I hope that we can support you.

Emma
  • [Deleted User]
    Hi @julesmcguire

Just in case this is a service you would like to have a look into the web link is http://www.scope.org.uk/navigate  and helpline number is 0808 8010510.

Best Wishes

Emma
  • julesmcguire
    Thank you Emma_Scope This sounds like it could be really helpful, but I’m not sure if it is the right time just now. My Son is continuing to make v small steps forward, so I am feeling a little more positive about his future, yet we still have no idea how far his recovery will go. Maybe it would be better for us to wait until we have a clearer idea of his outcome?
  • [Deleted User]
    No problem at all @julesmcguire. I wish you all the best and please don't hesitate to get in touch with Navigate or other Scope services in the future.

Brightness