PIP refusal — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP refusal

flounder35
flounder35 Community member Posts: 23 Connected
Hi all, yesterday I received my PIP descision and when I read the points and the reasons for it I was completely floored, it was blatant lies, for example, on 2 occasions it said I WAS NOT taking antidepressants, which I am, and showed the assessor my prescription, she also said I reached to the floor with my right hand, had I done this from where I was sitting on my recliner chair I would've fallen off the sofa, therefore she said I had adequate movement in my spine which I do not have due to L1-L5 popped disks, she said I showed no signs of anxiety, well, taking 4mg of diazepam would help a little with that, she said I can plan and follow a journey unaided, hysterical considering I do not go out alone, this is only a small amount of what she has said.
When she arrived, hubby opened the door, when she came in at no time did she tell me who she was, what she was or where she was from, and to be honest I thought she was just going through the forms I had sent in, I realise now that I was very naive and should've done more research.
Thanks for listening xxx

Comments

• Tarpuk4
    Tarpuk4 Community member Posts: 34 Connected
    I've learnt that the assessors all lie. They do not right down what you are telling them. How they get away with this is beyond me as its fraud. We tell the truth.
    You will have to appeal your case. Good luck XX

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    The acessors, make an acessment of your condition, and health, disability in relationship to the PIP descriptors, regardless to what you say or supply in written evidence. The acessor would have introduced their self shown ID and explained the process of the PIP acessment. 
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger

@wilko - I agree that the assessors will make their own assessment of whether a claimant meets the descriptors or not. However they are obliged to make it clear that this is their opinion and not ‘edit’ a claimants responses that are made during the interview. The DWP guidelines on this are :-

1.6.28 The functional history is the claimant's own perspective on how they manage the daily living and mobility activities. It is not the HP’s opinion of what the claimant should be able to do. It should be recorded in the third person, and should make it clear that this is the claimant's story.

I won’t bore everyone in great detail with my experiences again, particularly following @ilovecats very helpful explanations of who the assessment process works.

However, to use just one example, my assessor said that I could walk ‘to xx and back’ and concluded that I could walk 100 metres. In fact I said the opposite, which should have been recorded, and her justification for deciding that I could walk 100m recorded separately.

• flounder35
    Thanks all, have also just found out that the letter they requested from my gp only got sent today, so they didn't even have that info, oh well, never mind x
  • DebbieN
    DebbieN Community member Posts: 11 Listener
    This is another example of what these employed accassors do.its unfair and unjust this behaviour has to be stopped as it causes major anxiety and stress...They get paid by the tax payers they lie and someone needs to go undercover to investigate these people . I have written my local MP whi has kindly reacted . I urge you to make a complaint and write to your mp making them aware of the stress and anxiety the whole thing is they can't get away with this.
  • flounder35
    Thank you, I am just waiting for some copies of letters from my gp, then going to start the appeal and hubby is good with big words so he is onto the case of contacting the MP, thank you so much for your support, I have no problem refusing me, it's the fact that they have refused me on the basis of someone telling lies.
    Thanks again x
  • Adam_Alumni
    Adam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 164 Pioneering

Hi @flounder35

I am sorry to hear of your situation and am glad to see that have got some good advice from others on the community.

Scope has some useful information on Appealing a DWP benefits decision which I hope is of use to you.

All the best with your appeal and keep us updated

• flounder35
    Thanks, I wish I had known about this site a year ago, will definitely keep you updated x

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.