Pip review — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip review

steve34
steve34 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
My wife was recently reviewed for pip. She was receiving the standard rate for care and mobility. After the atos lady reviewed her in our home we have received a letter detailing why that have removed her mobility component. The letter stated that my wife claimed that she was unable to plan a journey to unfamiliar place and she has said she disagrees with this and she can plan a journey etc. My wife is suffering from paranoid schizophrenia. When we ask for a mandatory reconsideration do we need to present medical evidence because without it it is just their word against ours. And will it make any difference 
Thanks

Comments

• michfinch
    michfinch Community member Posts: 173 Pioneering
    I can’t always plan a journey..  I think I’d suggest your Wife sees her Dr immediately and asks his advice.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

Yes, evidence will be needed because they rarely contact anyone. Only 18% of MR decisions change, so she'll most likely have to take it to Tribunal. 71% of those who appear in person have a decision in their favour.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • mini1
    mini1 Community member Posts: 13 Connected
    Hi, pip assessment don't go off any medical input (without going into great detail ,)  My advise to you is to appeal and get as much medical information on your wife and send it to the appeal, keep a record for yourself, 
  • michfinch
    They seem to misinterpret what people say. I wondered if I was in the same room!
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2019
    mini1 said:
    Hi, pip assessment don't go off any medical input (without going into great detail ,)  My advise to you is to appeal and get as much medical information on your wife and send it to the appeal, keep a record for yourself, 
    This isn't exactly correct. Lots of people are awarded PIP successfully without any problems at all, we just don't hear the good stories very often. Naturally, those that have been awarded, have no questions to ask so we don't hear their story.

You can't appeal without first requesting the MR.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • michfinch
    edited February 2019
    Just so difficult and upsetting, stressing etc for those of us who justifiably need these benefits but have to struggle. Delighted DWP can go direct to Dr’s records. Use the money the Govt are spending/wasting on ATOS to bolster Dr’s Surgeries/staff to give an educated, informed decision on patients’ health.
  • michfinch
    edited February 2019
    I think many people who haven’t been awarded, and who are having to appeal, won’t be put off when they realise they will be dealing with real professionals, not those given targets to hit.
  • mini1
    Please don’t get stress out I’ve been they’re too, win your appeal,  god bless Paul 
  • michfinch
    Presumably your wife wouldn’t have been able to plan a journey to ATOS Healthcare that’s why they came to see you? 
  • steve34
    Thanks for all the replies, it really helps, my wife has a doctors appointment but it is not before the 1 month deadline so I think I will write to her GP stating whats on the letter and asking her to give an opinion on it and include this in the M.R. Does that sound ok.
    Thanks

• lindadenise
    lindadenise Community member Posts: 302 Pioneering
    I sent 3 yrs of medical history for my appeal and the judge actually thanked me. It helped make a decision at appeal i went from no mobility to Enchanced and standard care to enchanced. My Dr didnt charge me for the medical history. Goodluck
  • steve34
    Hi lindadenise, I hope you don't mind me asking but was the 3 yrs of medical history relating to mental or physical conditions. They seem to be targeting mental problems as it is a subjective illness?
    Thanks

• wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    @steve34 You can phone the DWP and ask for more time to get evidence to them but send your MR letter in first. Also mention in the letter that more evidence is on it's way and try and give a timescale for when you can send it. Any phone calls you make I would record who you spoke to (ask for a first name) the time and date and what was said. This covers you and there is a paper trail for all activity related to your claim. Trying to get things changed at MR is far better than having to wait often months on end for a Tribunal date. I was persistant, I rang and asked to speak to Case Managers who rang back but that was in 2017 it might be different now. I got a 2nd MR by asking them to look again and this raised my mobility from standard to enhanced. Again might not work now but no harm in trying. Surgeries will print out your wife's medical history for a small admin charge then it put's you in control of sending what is relevant to prove a point. Reference in the MR letter to the appropriate evidence if you have it by then. 

• lindadenise
    lindadenise Community member Posts: 302 Pioneering
    Hi i suffer both physical neurological illnesses and i am treated for mental illness mainly severe anxiety and depression. I let them have 3yrs worth so they can see how i was struggling over the years. Hope that helps.
  • steve34
    Thanks for all the replies. Can anyone tell me the DWP's definition of "overwhelming psychological distress".
    I would say that my wife suffers "OPD" as she is paranoid that people are talking about her and laughing at her.
    Does this not qualify anymore.

Best wishes

• mini1
    The way I see things nothing qualifies don’t matter what kind of disability you have or I have it counts for nothing,  we live in a eye spy world and pip asessors love it, ...Paul...
  • mini1
    I’ve worked for some fantastic company’s that care about they’re  staff, I’ve had the best care while I was in hospital these people nurses doctors etc  are the best and do care about people these are professional People that love they’re job and really care, And what has the DWP done (Contractors)  yes Contractors to do a face to face assessment on you and me,    What is the overall             Cost of pip Contractors?                    Cost of Brexit ?                         Cost of a live? 
  • wildlife
    @steve34 If you look at OPD from the assessment point of view the assessor has to give reasons why she disagrees that your wife cannot go on a journey without suffering this. So look at what you wrote on your claim form together with what was said at her assessment and then what the assessor wrote on your wife's report and that will give you her reasons for not scoring your wife enough for mobility. It's your job now to argue against what the assessor wrote preferably with medical evidence. Also look at the other mobility descriptors and rule out those as being applicable to your wife. It might help to say what happened to me. They said I went to Church every week on my own therefore I could plan and go on a journey. The Church is only a mile down the road on a Sunday evening with no buses and I don't drive. I have never been on my own. My husband always goes with me. They knew I didn't drive and I got our Church President to write a letter saying I never went alone. That was my argument against what the assessor had said and the truth as well. So the way to convince them you're right is to not give them any information that contradicts what you're telling them together with a strong argument that OPD applies to your wife and you're doing all you can do. I hope that makes sense. That's what we're all up against. Because the assessors have to back up their "decisions" they either make something up or take a small piece of information and twist it or magnify it to suit their purpose.  
  • braca
    braca Community member Posts: 102 Pioneering
    Well said Wildlife, yes I agree they twist information to suit their report passing audit and sick people are denied benefits. In my own case I worked from 15 years of age until 60 years old and had to throw in the towel so to speak, at my last assessment the assessor said although he has been diagnosed with anxiety/depression and having counselling he is on low level medication ? I my self do not want to take stronger anti-depressants as having been a HGV driver had been hopeful of returning back to employment and being doped up to the eyeballs would not allow me to do so, at present I am under psychologist  for my depression and nerve pain from surgical wound and trying out Mindfulness techniques to combat both. So Atos assessor in her opinion is correct in denying me PIP benefit and did not even bother to read reports from Renal consultants, Pain Consultant, Psychologist and occupational therapist.
    Just want to say big thank you to assessor for asking me to lift my arms and roll my neck and that justifies that I am overstating why I need help with daily living and mobility activities...

Who needs God when PIP Assessors can perform miracles regarding our health...:'( :'(o:)
  • wildlife
    @ilovecats I am not saying OPD applies in the OP's wife's case I'm just suggesting a different way of looking at the whole senario. My assessor also said I go to an over 60's club every fortnight on my own. I had been once which I made very clear at my assessment. My husband took me in the car (more info. she had and didn't use) After sitting in the club for the afternoon I was persuaded by the others, most of whom I knew, to return WITH THEM on the private coach. We were helped up the steps and driven the 3 minute journey to the end of our close. Helped off again by the driver our bungalow is less than 50 meters away. I can see MOH waiting for me from where I got off. I didn't want to go again due to pain sitting on a hard chair even with a cushion. You can't tell me that is planning and going on a journey to an unfamiliar place. Have you not noticed how many people are reporting this type of treatment? Being 100% truthful is very difficult when faced with someone you know will not be equally honest and open about you and your disability. I am sick to the back teeth of being told how the system works. I know it does in some cases but it should in every case. Until then people need advice as to how and what information the assessor needs keeping in mind what might be incorrectly written on his/her report. The people who are lucky enough to have an honest assessor do not need advice.    

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.