autistic grand daughter — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

autistic grand daughter

allyk7x
allyk7x Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi my name is allyk7x and i have a 3yr old autistic grand daughter. I am looking for advice on meltdowns, toilet training and if weight blankets are of any use. We sre a family in utter chaos at the moment as all traits are coming at once, my grand daughter has also started taking seizures. I would be so grateful for any advice. Many thanks in advance

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @allyk7x

Welcome it’s great to meet you this evening.

Here’s some info for you below:

https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/learning-disabilities-and-autism

Please please let me know if there’s anything that I can help you further with?????

@steve51

• allyk7x
    Thank you steve much appreciated. 
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ally7x

No probs it’s my Pleasure ??

@steve51
  • SaraC_Scope
    SaraC_Scope CP Network, Scope Posts: 43 Courageous
    edited March 2019
    Hi @ally7x

Welcome to the community.

My name is Sara and I am a Parent Adviser for the Scope Navigate service.  Navigate provide a six week programme of online and telephone support to parents or carers who have a child going through diagnosis or have a child who has recently been diagnosed with a disability.  The aim is to provide parents with emotional and practical support that will help them build resilience as they start on their journey as a parent of a child with a disability or impairment.

You don't mention when your grandchild received her diagnosis, but if this was within the last year, perhaps the Navigate Service could provide you or your family with some additional support.  Please visit   Navigate or call 0808 8010510.

Kind Regards

Sara
  • allyk7x
    Hi sara thank you for reaching out. My grandaughter hasnt had a diagnosis yet. We are waiting for another assessment as she didnt cope well with the first one so it was rescheduled. Over the past 3 weeks we have noticed alot of change in behaviour, she repetitively slaps the table with her hand and cant seem to stop, she lifts and throws heavy objects, we are all bruised with flying toys or ornaments.  My daughter is struggling to cope, she has always worked unsociable hours and i am the only person who helps with child care but my grandaughter is so obssessed with her mum so shes had to give up shifts which she cant afford to do as she is on minimum wage. Toilet training seems impossible and changing nappies is the hardest part, sometimes it takes all day just to freshen up. I am looking to buy a weight blanket but there are alot to choose from and not sure which company to buy from. I worked for 10 years as a support worker and volunteer for vulnerable adults so i cope much better with meltdowns and know the importance of routine. My daughter was convinced that the speech therapists were wrong with their suspicions of autism, this prevented us getting a diagnosis earlier. The health visitor had to come out this morning due to terrible meltdowns through the night and has assured my daughter she will get help asap. Im tiptoing around the word "autism" as my daughter just cant accept what is happening. I feel so alone so heaven knows how she feels. I also have my mum who is blind and my step dad has just been diagnosed with dementia so its been a difficult year. Any advice would be great sara! Yours sincerely 
    Ally
  • SaraC_Scope
    SaraC_Scope CP Network, Scope Posts: 43 Courageous
    Hi @allyk7x

I hope things are little better for you this week.  It's very hard having to be strong for the whole of your family, especially if your mum and step dad have illnesses and impairments as well.  Remember you local authority may be able to offer you support,

It could be, in weeks to come your daughter will be ready to accept additional support and Navigate would be an ideal place to support her emotional needs and offer practical guidance.

In the meantime, please remember to look after your well being and this forum is here if you need to discuss anything.

Kind Regards

Sara

Brightness