osteoarthritis — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

osteoarthritis

Grandad
Grandad Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I've joined this forum to get some experienced advice to help my non-pc literate 84 year old wife.

She has suffered with osteoarthritis for over 40 years and  now has severe problems with her hands.  A particular difficulty is not having the power to operate the nozzle on aerosols and I have been trying to find some sort of aid that will help with this.

So far all I can find is this Italian one https://www.ambista.com/en/other-aids/aerosol-handle-for-spray-cans-21340
Is there anything similar available a bit more locally? 

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Grandad   Pleased to meet you welcome. Thank you for joining and sharing.

I am one of the team of community champions who guide, advise and help new members who join the forum.

In response to your question have looked at the AGEUK website something to consider.

https://www.ageuk.org.uk.

Helpline 0800 055 6112 

Might be worth a look. I know myself looking on line for simple kitchen gadgets and utensils for the disability I have.

There are so many websites. I think it is just siting down with a pen and paper. On line scrolling through the websites and searching adding in key words.

I do this quite often.

Another suggestion is to speak to The National Osteoporosis Society who also deal with Osteoarthritis as well.

Helpline 0808 800 0035

Both websites might also be useful for finding anything like support and information.  You might want to know.

I also know AMAZON could another answer maybe do know have an extensive supplier network and have a lot of aids, equipment for those with disabilities. Illness or conditions. I know because am on line all the time and found many solutions to simple tasks.

Have found for example range of cookware that is easy to lift off the stove. 

Hope that helps you. Please ask if we can help further. Pleasure to meet you.

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Adam_Alumni
    Adam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 164 Pioneering
    Hi @Grandad
    I'm glad to see @thespiceman has given you some advice on this.

We also have plenty of advice and support for osteoarthritis in our discussions about Chronic pain 

I hope you find this of use.

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Try ebay " aerosol triggers"
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Grandad, and welcome!

If there's no joy with the above, it may be worth contacting Remap who make custom equipment for disabled people:

Remap
    D9 Chaucer Business Park
    Kemsing
    Sevenoaks
    Kent TN15 6YU

Tel: 01732 760209

Email: data@remap.org.uk
  • Grandad
    Grandad Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thanks everyone for the welcome and some very helpful advice.  Will follow up the suggestions as necessary.

Brightness