Intimidated and threatened into resigning b4 I was paid sick pay — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Intimidated and threatened into resigning b4 I was paid sick pay

helenzx6r
helenzx6r Community member Posts: 39 Connected
edited September 2020 in Work and employment
hi
please can any1 help me.?(
i was not paid my sick pay this month by company I work for
i have been off sick since November 2018, and had ssp paid by them 
i called the office 28/2/2019 and no1 was available to talk to me regarding my missing payment this month 
an hour later I had 2 missed calls from unknown numbers 
I answered on then 3rd ring!
some man on the Fone being very abrupt and abusive
said he was working on behalf
of the company I work 4
he gave me 20 mins to attend a 
meeting with him
 and that I would  then receive my sick pay owing for February If I went to the meeting 
 He Said he would give it me Cash in hand!! And that it was in my own interest to meet him
as the boss of company I work 4 who had sent him was not a very nice man and it could end up nasty!!
a friend came with me 
and we voice recorded the whole meeting 
he was very  abusive and threatening and he dictated to me what to write in a letter of resignation.!!
He said that I would only receive the money if resigned there and then and would b makeing it easy for myself if I do it today/now
he then threw the cash at me and drove off
he refused all the way through the recordings to give his name 
said it was irrelevant and I did 
Not need to know who he was.!!
it scared me half to death I had a massive panic attack just couldn’t breath.((
i suffer with Chronic depression and anxiety, arthritis and fybro 
this has tiped me over the edge
i contacted the police and have to go see them Saturday Morning
thry advises me to lock all doors and they had red flagged his vehicle as we also took his registration 

is this legal.??
where can i please get some advice.
i cannot  get through to cab on the fone.(
help.x

Tagged:

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @helenzx6r I am terribly sorry for what you experienced! It does sound frightening however I assure you that you took the correct steps by taking a friend with you, recording the conversation and contacting the police.

Personally, I do not know how to advise however some of our community members will and be in contact with you soon to help.

P,ease keep us updated and we are here anytime for you :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Markmywords
    Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    No it's definitely not legal. It might even be criminal. Contact ACAS and discuss it with them.
    It's a good job you had a witness.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2019
    Hello @helenzx6r Thank you for sharing with the community a horrific experience.

Sorry what has happened.

I agree this is highly unlawful and you did the right thing contacting the Police.

You could contact Disability Rights UK .

Might be worth asking them for further consultation and advice. 

We as a community are here to support you. Listen.

My concern is for you and have care that your mental state is effected.

Please if you need any help and advise with anything please contact me.

I am one of the team of community champions. Who help, guide and advise members of the forum. Plus you can also speak to our team from SCOPE.

Helpline 0808 800 3333.

Keep in touch.

Take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • helenzx6r
    Thanks for replying.x
    i am stil shaking and scared.(
    i will contact disability rights uk.x will keep u updated.x
  • thespiceman
    Hello @helenzx6r Thanks for reply .  I understand that am here anytime you wish to talk. If that helps.

My concern is for you. Do you have any support for yourself at the moment.?

Just a thought speak to your Doctor or please ask me or the community if we can help.

I have mental health issues myself . So know what happens how the mental conditions can be effected.

Take care .  

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Your employer had no right to ask or get a third party involved in the payment of your emtitent sick pay or signing a letter of resignation under duress. Did you sign a receipt for the money? If not there is no prove you had it only your honesty when giving a statement to the police. As your resignation letter was signed under duress I think you will find if it is fullly investigated in law it would not be upheld and your employment Is still valid until your employer follows the correct procedure for terminating your employment due to ill health then he hasn't a leg to stand on and if proven he is, was behind the rouge person then compensation should be awarded. Keep us updated and keep posting.
  • helenzx6r
    edited March 2019
    The recording I took has him saying that the boss of the company I worked for had sent him and that he was not a nice ffffing person to
    mess with
    he hates people taking the **** out of him!
    along with lots more evidence of why how and what would happen if I didn’t sign
    he basically told me what 2 write in the resignation letter
    he would not accept mine as it said that I was resigning at their request
    He also made
    me
    sign that he had thrown/given me the sick pay at me

All this in a layby!!
    Just me my friend Wendy who drove me there as I cannot drive...
    it was the scariest strangest thing I have ever had happen to me.(
    this has totally
    knocked my
    depression and my
    anxiety is so bad now I can’t breathe at times.((
    along with this and being turned down
    for LCWRA 
    I’m totally at the end.(((

• helenzx6r
    edited March 2019
    Thanks for your reply

I’m a terrible state right now
    i have no support apart
    form my lovely friend Wendy who
    took with me to the meeting. im
    waiting for my dr to call me back 2hra I been waiting now.((
  • helenzx6r
    edited March 2019
    I can’t think straight 
    totally confused what to do.((
    i struggle with talking on the Fone.((
    spinning on the  spot right now.((
  • thespiceman
    Hello @helenzx6r Apologise for not getting back to you. Thank you for getting back to me.

Please can I ask have you phoned Disability UK for any advice and consultation.

I do understand what is happening here. Please take some time deep breaths put some music on.

Anything soothing got usually Classic FM on just try to remain calm I know it is not easy. I have been there as I do with my mental health.

Please can I also add make a script of what you wish to say use word for word on the phone. I have same issues remember try to remember what to say speak slowly.

Another calming effect is to have a glass of cold water this helps.  Have a dry mouth, thudding heart and palpitations, stomach churning chest pain just makes the symptoms ease. 

I understand you need to speak to your Doctor you are waiting for a call. Please could I ask if your friend Wendy to attend with you.  Might be an idea.  As an advocate to say what is happening to you.

If your friend is OK with this. 

I should contact as you have done the Police . You need to tell them everything. Please do. In fact I am amazed they have not been around earlier.

I believe you have an appointment on Saturday . Try to get your mind if you can to talk to them. 

I know this is bordering on harassment and a hate crime plus this needs to be investigated.  There such Police Units.

Is it possible for your friend to attend with you with that as well.

I am here if you need anything further support. Always here.

Hope that helps.

@thespiceman.

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @helenzx6r, I'm so sorry to hear about what you've experienced. You've done the right thing by contacting the police, and I'm glad to see you've had some words of encouragement from our community members.

Do you have family and friends around you who can offer some support? Perhaps they can speak on the phone on your behalf if you're not comfortable? As this is more of a legal issue we may not be best placed to advise, however please do feel free to keep us updated. Our members are here to listen, and we're all wishing you only the very best.
  • helenzx6r
    Hello @helenzx6r Apologise for not getting back to you. Thank you for getting back to me.

Please can I ask have you phoned Disability UK for any advice and consultation.

I do understand what is happening here. Please take some time deep breaths put some music on.

Anything soothing got usually Classic FM on just try to remain calm I know it is not easy. I have been there as I do with my mental health.

Please can I also add make a script of what you wish to say use word for word on the phone. I have same issues remember try to remember what to say speak slowly.

Another calming effect is to have a glass of cold water this helps.  Have a dry mouth, thudding heart and palpitations, stomach churning chest pain just makes the symptoms ease. 

I understand you need to speak to your Doctor you are waiting for a call. Please could I ask if your friend Wendy to attend with you.  Might be an idea.  As an advocate to say what is happening to you.

If your friend is OK with this. 

I should contact as you have done the Police . You need to tell them everything. Please do. In fact I am amazed they have not been around earlier.

I believe you have an appointment on Saturday . Try to get your mind if you can to talk to them. 

I know this is bordering on harassment and a hate crime plus this needs to be investigated.  There such Police Units.

Is it possible for your friend to attend with you with that as well.

I am here if you need anything further support. Always here.

Hope that helps.

@thespiceman.

Hi
    the dr called me back and I’d do disgusted at what has been happening
    she has prescribed me sleeping tabs
    my
    friend Wendy is coming to the police station.with me.x
  • thespiceman
    Hello @helenzx6r Thank you for reply. That is good to hear Doctor been contacted.

I hope that helps you.

Please keep in touch and if you need to talk am always here.   Anytime.

Always supportive.   Take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • helenzx6r
    wilko said:
    Your employer had no right to ask or get a third party involved in the payment of your emtitent sick pay or signing a letter of resignation under duress. Did you sign a receipt for the money? If not there is no prove you had it only your honesty when giving a statement to the police. As your resignation letter was signed under duress I think you will find if it is fullly investigated in law it would not be upheld and your employment Is still valid until your employer follows the correct procedure for terminating your employment due to ill health then he hasn't a leg to stand on and if proven he is, was behind the rouge person then compensation should be awarded. Keep us updated and keep posting.
    Hi
    sorry 4 the late update. I’ve had a ruff few days
    the police said it’s NOT a criminal offense.;(
    unbelievable 
  • thespiceman
    Hello @helenzx6r   Thank you for sharing this with the community. First so sorry to hear that the Police did not say a criminal offense.

Then you need if I can make a suggestion to consider speaking to Disability Rights UK . To see whether what further action needs to be taken.

I am appalled at the Police reaction to this.

I am concerned for you as a member of our community.

Please if you need to talk or feel the need to ask the community for anything we can help on.   Please get in touch.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi
    Sorry to read your experience it's shocking. I am an ex human resource professional and know about employment law. This may not be criminal offence but is most definitely a breach of employment law. You need to contact acas they will give you the best advice as this could be potential unfair dismissal. Hope this helps you. 
  • Markmywords
    Making demands with threats isn't illegal? Well I suppose it would mean that they'd have to get out of their cars.
    You never said whether you actually signed their document. If you did then I'd see a solicitor, if not then talk to ACAS.
  • helenzx6r
    Making demands with threats isn't illegal? Well I suppose it would mean that they'd have to get out of their cars.
    You never said whether you actually signed their document. If you did then I'd see a solicitor, if not then talk to ACAS.

• helenzx6r
    Hi
    i was forced into signing the resignation
    with threats of violence...
    i will contact Acas today

i have an appointment at Jon centre to try prove this happened as I’m now on 90 day sanction.(
  • Markmywords

Brightness