Fighting for my daughter to be allowed back in to mainstream. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Fighting for my daughter to be allowed back in to mainstream.

CharlieSingSong
CharlieSingSong Community member Posts: 3 Listener
My daughter is 14 has ASD and Adhd and has been suicidal and self-harming over the last two years. We don't attend school atm and are fighting for her to be allowed back in to mainstream. I also have an Adhd daughter who manages life well and a husband. 

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @CharlieSingSong and welcome

Please have a look around the site. If you have any question please just ask
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Courageous
    Hello @CharlieSingSong

Sorry to hear that you're going through these difficulties with your daughters education.

I wondered if this may be of interest to you. Scope have recently launched a new service called Navigate.  Navigate provides a six week programme of online and telephone support to parents who have a child going through diagnosis or have a child who has recently been diagnosed with a disability. The aim is to provide parents of a child with a disability with emotional and practical support.

If you think this may be something that could support you please visit https://www.scope.org.uk/family-services/navigate or call 0808 801 0510

Best Wishes.
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Hi @CharlieSingSong

Welcome to the community. 

I am sorry to hear about what your daughter has been going through. 

You are a member of our community and we appreciate you.

If your daughter is having thoughts of suicide,  please call the Samaritans on 116 123 (free) or email them at jo@samaritans.org

You both might also benefit from reading MIND’s information on how you can help yourself
    If you feel that your daughter may be an immediate danger to herself, please call 999 or go to your local hospital right away. 
    All the best.

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @CharlieSingSong
    I have moved your post over to our Parenting Advisor Category as @KellyParentAdvisor has  experience of autism, sensory processing issues, anxiety, mental health issues, home educating, EHCP process, autism diagnosis process, child care and all the parenting things in between and may be able to help :)
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • CharlieSingSong
    CharlieSingSong Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Thank you very much
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Have you tried the National Autistic Society for any support? There is a whole section here around resolving differences with schools that might help?

On the IPSEA website it says:
    The right to a mainstream education
    If the parents or young person wants a mainstream school or college named in the EHC plan, there is another part of the law they can rely on as well. Section 33 CAFA 2014 says that a child or young person with an EHC plan must be educated in a mainstream setting unless:
    1. it is against the wishes of the child’s parent or the young person; or
    1. it is incompatible with the provision of efficient education for others and the LA shows that there are no reasonable steps that it could take to prevent the incompatibility.
    Even if the LA successfully argued that a mainstream school was unsuitable for the ability, aptitude or SEN of the child or young person (one of the lawful reasons for refusing a school, detailed above under ‘Requesting a nursery, school or college’), if they wanted to name a special school against the parent or young person’s wishes they would also have to show that it was incompatible with the provision of efficient education for others.
    Note, however, that this is a right to mainstream education but not necessarily a right to a particular mainstream school.
    For further information, see the separate section on the right to mainstream education

Does your child have an EHCP?

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • KellyParentAdvisor
    KellyParentAdvisor Community member Posts: 32 Courageous
    Hello @CharlieSingSong, I'm sorry not to reply sooner. I'm also sorry to hear about the difficulties you're facing with your daughter and her education. 

Can you share where you're at with it all? What are the barriers to her accessing a mainstream education presently? Is it all her, or all the schools, or a bit of both?  

Is she under CAHMS for her mental health at all?

Kelly

Brightness