applying for UC for other people? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

applying for UC for other people?

SS1997
SS1997 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited March 2019 in Universal Credit (UC)

Hello, unfortunately in my workplace, some of my colleagues have lost their job since the company is falling behind with the project we are working on, so to save money, some people had to leave. These people are very hard working people (I work in construction) but they are completely new to the British system since they only moved to the UK about a year ago. They are jobless now so I helped one of them to receive Universal Credit and he is actively looking for a job. Now 3 more guys are asking me to apply for them because they can’t do it themselves and then they offered me money if I apply for them since they might end up homeless. Would it be illegal for me to charge them money in exchange of applying for their UC? Of course, I would fill the self assessment form and pay, if any, due taxes and surely I’ll make sure they are completely aware of everything regarding their application.

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    There are agencies that do charge for this type of service but in my opinion helping a person who has no other option should be done as an act of kindness. It would not sit right with me to accept money after all it is just a few hours if you understand the system
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @SS1997
    As @CockneyRebel says there are services that charge for this. But there are also free services through the CAB and charities who would help these people for free.

I dont know whether it would be illegal, but perhaps you might be better to signpost them to an charity or service who can support them for free?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.