I'm too young to be classed unfit for work — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I'm too young to be classed unfit for work

Options
salsybar46
salsybar46 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited March 2019 in Work and employment
Hello all

Just been told I'm unfit for work , I was a carer and loved every inch of my work it meaned the world to me 
To be told that I have to have mobility aids and  aids put in my home to help me .
I have had depression for years because ofor my pain . The doctors kept saying it was fibromyalgia,  I have 21 discs naffed in my back . Arthritis in my hands , knees, hips 
I can not accept it I'm too youngood to be like this . I feel a failure 

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @salsybar46 welcome to the community! Sorry to hear you feel this way. I was deemed unfit to work at the age of 22 and it made me depressed. Its took me a long time to accept that I won't be able to do the jobs I loved doing but that isn't going to stop me from finding something I can do.

It will take time to accept this, do you currently have any support around you since being told this?
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • robinhood8
    robinhood8 Community member Posts: 128 Pioneering
    Options
    I hello you're not alone I was senior support worker I have
    Arthritis multiple I had to give up work and I love my job and never Hardly off sick l started having pain in 2013
    I had given up nov2019
  • salsybar46
    Options
    22 year old is so young , bless you . I had pains from after having my 5 children at age 27 and thought nothing of it . They said I have hypermobility too . I just thought been really flexible and into gymnastics and been very active was normal  . I have been offered support in the past and turned it down has I just can not accept it . But now I need the help I think it's to do with pride... I look at arthritis has an elderly thing ???
  • mercedesbd
    mercedesbd Community member Posts: 109 Courageous
    Options
    I’m 17 and been unfit for work for bowel problems and fybromyalgia. I struggle so much I have to have a raiser that lifts me out of bed and a bath raiser that lifts me up and down.. it’s horrible I have to use crutches to walk but feel like I need a wheel chair. Hope your okay 
  • salsybar46
    Options
    I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism 2016 and fibromyalgia in 2017 . I have to get my  adult kids to shove me up the bed because I can not otherwise . So so young ages to have such chronic crippling conditions . I live in a flat and it's 15 steps to the other floor . My front door and utility room is on the first floor , living room, kitchen and bathroom . Then 3 bedrooms on 3rd floor. I'm so sorry to hear so young ???

Brightness