Accessible family holidays? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Accessible family holidays?

jade54
jade54 Community member Posts: 10 Connected
Unfortunately for the last four years I have been very very ill. Now that I'm getting better we need a family holiday.
I've been promising my daughter Paris Disneyland. We were all set to go this year but there were no seats on the train. The trains leave twice a week with only four wheelchair spaces. I am able to transfer to a seat, the insurance wouldn't cover me in case of an accident if I couldn't walk to leave the train.
The hire of a scooter is also expensive.
Specialty travel agencies are a bit thin on the ground.
If anyone else has managed this holiday before we would love some help.. 
Thank you.

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jade54, thanks for sharing this- I went to Disneyland Paris myself last year and once you're there, it's great for accessibility. I blogged a little about the green access card (well worth getting!), and there's lots of accessibility info on the DLP website too.

I took my own wheelchair but if that's not feasible, perhaps you could see if there were any alternative hire or loan services outside of the park? Hopefully our other community members will have some suggestions for you too!
  • jade54
    jade54 Community member Posts: 10 Connected
    You're my  one and only person to reply thank you.
    Did you book your holiday through the Disney website or a special disabled travel agent? 
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Fingers crossed there'll be more soon, @jade54

We booked through Disney website over the phone, so we could ask questions and express requirements at the same time. If you do the same bear in mind that calls aren't free, so it might be worth making a list of everything you need to discuss before you dial!
  • mossycow
    mossycow Scope Member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    I'll reply to say hello! Glad you are getting better after what must have been a very hard 4 years. Holiday sounds great! 

I've no advice or experience... Which may be why less people have replied but I'm assuming you've called Disney land Paris? 
  • Matt_Scope
    Matt_Scope Scope Posts: 56 Pioneering
    I havent been to Disney, but I've always heard the access is great, I imagine they might have mobility equipment you could use, but you will need to check that with them,  EuroStar goes direct (I think) and as a wheelchair I had an excellent experience on they're service to Lille last year, including the price.  Hope thsi helps.

Brightness