Anyone with dysarthria? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Anyone with dysarthria?

hughs1
hughs1 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hello I have been diagnosed with dysarthria and would really welcome some support thanks

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @hughs1 welcome to the community! I have not heard of Dysarthria before, would you mind telling us a bit about the condition?
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    Dysarthria is difficulty speaking caused by brain damage or brain changes later in life. ... slurred, nasal-sounding or breathy speech. (Copied and pasted.) What type of support do you need @hughs1
  • hughs1
    edited March 2019
    I had minor stroke during an operation for an ankle injury and it is like you described above. The support I need is to connect with fellow sufferers. As before the operation I was suffering from anxiety and depression and this has just compounded it Thankyou
  • Ami2301
    Are you currently receiving any emotional support?
  • hughs1
    No I am going to see my Gp next week I was only diagnosed yesterday with dysarthria
  • Ami2301
    It's good that you have an appointment lined up with your GP, keep us updated and let us know if we can help you further :)
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @hughs1, welcome to our community. Please let us know how you get on and if you have any questions or need some advice, please don't hesitate to ask!
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello again @hughs1. I've had a look around for dysarthria-related support groups and there don't appear to be any ones in the UK. However, another member of our community @phnix210 has mentioned having dysarthria in the past and you might find some support from our members in the neurological conditions discussion group.
    I hope your GP appointment goes well and please stay in touch!

Adrian
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness