New claim and being late — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

New claim and being late

Nirvana
Nirvana Community member Posts: 3 Listener

Hi there guys,

I started a new pip claim. Due to illness I rang up for a two week extension and recieved one. I then received my esa reassessment forms, due bqck around the same time. Between illness, bad days and getting the support I need to fill them in, I won’t get my  pip forms back in time :(

My questions are,

Can I cancel the claim and make another one soon after or immediately? Starting the process again but giving me more time.

Will this go against me? I have pretty bad mental health issues and I am extremely worried about this.

Thank you in advance :smile:

Comments

• Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Hi @Nirvana

Welcome to the community and thank you for sharing this with us.

Please try not to worry,  other members may relate with you, so you're not alone for feeling this way. Some of our members may be able to answer your questions on this soon. You may find our page on help completing benefit claim forms useful. :)
  • Nirvana
    Nirvana Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi @Nirvana

Welcome to the community and thank you for sharing this with us.

Please try not to worry,  other members may relate with you, so you're not alone for feeling this way. Some of our members may be able to answer your questions on this soon. You may find our page on help completing benefit claim forms useful. :)
    Thank you ? 

• Adam_Alumni
    Adam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 164 Pioneering

Hi @Nirvana

My understanding is you can cancel your PIP claim any time and start the process over again.

Please don't worry, the fact that you want to start your claim again won't go against you.

Hope this helps

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    You should be able to get a further 2 weeks extension for your PIP form
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Fetlock
    Fetlock Community member Posts: 79 Courageous
    Just ask for a further extension as CockneyRebel said. Ring the PIP line and they'll transfer you to a case manager (who needs to approve it)
  • Gary01522
    Gary01522 Community member Posts: 24 Connected
    I was in the same situation as you claim forms and the like play havoc on me. I did ask for a two week extension and then a second two week extension. when this was near the end they phoned me and ask if i needed help with the forms so yes ask them for another extension
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    I understood from the blurb that the DWP put out that they can offer a 2 week extension. Nowhere have I ever read that you can keep on getting these 2 week extensions. I thought that a time limit is exactly what it says on the tin.
    Way back in time they closed down a benefit I had tried to claim simply because I could not adhere to the I month they gave me to send the information in.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    You can ask for the first 2 week extension, if you require further time a case manager will make the decision to grant another 2 weeks but that is it
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    You can ask for the first 2 week extension, if you require further time a case manager will make the decision to grant another 2 weeks but that is it
    I see, 4 weeks max. That sounds reasonable given the complexity of the claim form.
    The way I read the post is that they had 2 x 2 week extensions and then had the DWP agree to further extensions.
    I know I found it very hard when filling out the form. I had no idea how to reply to most of them, they were very confusing. I didn't know about any extensions so it was a day and night job putting bits in to get it back in within the two weeks they gave.
    All you can do is do your best and see what happens.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.