Diabetes and bone problems — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Diabetes and bone problems

mossycow
mossycow Scope Member Posts: 500 Pioneering
Hi there, 
I'm asking for a friend who finds coming online really hard. 

She has type 1 diabetes and as a result has had a stroke. 

She recently had foot pain and has been told at a fracture clinic that it is because of her diabetes. He also said it was rare and that he didn't know anything about it... Which wasn't helpful. 

Her GP has said there is nothing they can do and basically she is freaking out.. And I don't blame her as nothing has been done to give her an idea of what will happen or what can be done. 

I wo dered if anyone here could help with info or anything. I'm not asking for medical advice, more your experiences. Thanks

Have you diabetes and had fracture/bone problems? 

Thanks

Comments

• Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Hi @mossycow thank you for sharing this with us. I am sorry to hear this, how is she doing today? You may want to get in touch with Diabetes UK's Helpline  or email them at: helpline@diabetes.org.uk
  • mossycow
    Well, to be honest, for various reasons, she's feeling incredibly **** and as I'm disabled too I can't be as  good.... Or at least as present .. A friend as I'd like to be... So thought I'd ask my Scope crew!

I just feel like she is being fobbed off... But... I'm not at her appointments and she has memory loss due to the stroke and brain damage caused so it's difficult to help. 

However she's also fab! 

But thanks! Don't know why I didn't think about diabetes UK.... Nice one thanks
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Hi @mossycow thank you for your reply. I understand, we appreciate you coming to us :) You're welcome, please keep us updated and if you any questions please let us know. 
  • mossycow
    Cool. So I called Diabetes dudes and they debreif or something between 4.30 and 5....so I'll call again tomorrow. But, they were lovely and I am hopeful! 

Chatting with my friend and either she can call or ill prob call and then can send any info they email to me over to her. 

Fantastic. 

I've used thag helpline before as I'm type 2 diabetic so I've so idea why I didn't think of it.... Many mnay thanks! 
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Hi @mossycow thank you for updating us. That's good to hear, I hope it goes well today :) Brilliant! No worries, when I have a lot on I forget certain things too. Please let us know how it's all going and if you have any questions, do let us know.
  • mossycow
    Hiya, little update, the Diabetes UK helpline was fab. I'd thoroughly recommend if you've found this thread because you need any kind of help or guibdence from them. 

I got info about the condition and from what my friend and I have been talking about it seems unlikely she actually has this. Hopefully it's been reassuring and hopefully before she gets a definitive answer form her own medical people. 

They also do a webchat which she's going to use as easier than calling for her. 

Thanks! 

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @mossycow, thank you for letting us know your experience with the Diabetes UK helpline, it's great to hear they were able to help you and your friend!
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness