What aids can I use? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What aids can I use?

Vicki988
Vicki988 Community member Posts: 24 Connected
I have a few aids for simple tasks but my fingers would lock especially when I'm draining water from saucepans is there anything that could help?

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Vicki988 would you mind telling us a bit more? Then we can help you as much as we can :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Vicki988
    Vicki988 Community member Posts: 24 Connected
    Sorry I have joint hypermobility which causes pain in my fingers and they can lock, they even locked when I was putting veg into the steamer!

• Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    edited April 2019
    Hi @Vicki988 welcome to the community. Thank you for sharing this with us. You can get in touch with the following organisations for equipment and advice:

• Disabled Living Foundation (DLF) provides guides for daily living. You can borrow simple electronic aids such as adapted phones and magnifiers for 2 weeks so you can see if the device works for you before buying it. (You only pay postage to return it and a refundable deposit.) The DLF also maintains the Living Made Easy website, a directory of assistive products, from clothing to personal care.
    • Independent Living gives unbiased advice about mobility aids and disability products.
    • The Research Institute for Consumer Affairs conducts research into products and services used by disabled people. Rica publishes free research reports covering many aspects of everyday life, from central heating controls to mobility. 
    • Aidas Trust provides free and impartial advice and support on technology for disabled people.
    • Remap matches disabled people who need pieces of equipment specially designed and manufactured with volunteers who can do so. Projects focus on mobility and independent living.
    • DEMAND Design and Manufacture for Disability can adapt, modify or make something completely new that suits your needs if your challenge cannot be solved with off-the-shelf equipment.

Brightness