Facet joint Abration — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Facet joint Abration

jenniB
jenniB Community member Posts: 14 Connected
has anyone had this procedure carried out recently 

Comments

• Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Welcome to the community @jenniB how are you doing today? :)

There's some information about the procedure, from the spine health website. I'm tagging in some of our members who have mentioned Facet Joint; @Tatie @Tashbash91

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jenniB
    How are you doing? Do you want to tell us a bit more? Have you had this procedure or is it something you will be having?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • jenniB
    Hi Sam, I am due to have 10 lumbar Facet joints severed This Thursday, The Hospital rang to say Although I requested Sedation for the procedure, I cannot have any.
    after the Diagnostic test Which was excruciating torture.
    pain I never want to experience for a second ever again.
    i was traumatised & in shock for two days afterwards & just morphine shook & cried.
    in so much pain for a week after the test.
    i am scared & not sure whether I can cope if the pain is the same 

• Sam_Alumni
    Oh I am so sorry to hear this :( How did it go on Thursday @jenniB ?
    Scope
  • jenniB
    Hi Sam,
    it went well, painful YES.
    but compared to the diagnostic test. It was bearable.
    i was eventually given an IVF line with a dose of strong pain relief during the procedure which helped.
    I was awake all night prior to the procedure 
    very very sick from 4.00am
    and upon arrival at Hospital 
    My Spine Fellow explained why the NHS don’t give Steroid / Cortisone Injections 
    They cause osteoporosis therefore This was my only option of some decent pain relief.
    i am very very sore, unable to bend & feel very fragile but
    yay better than expected
    THANK YOU for you kind message

• Sam_Alumni
    OH I am glad it was better than you thought!
    Scope
  • sciencegirl
    sciencegirl Community member Posts: 11 Listener
    I have had facet ablation dobe 3 times now. First time I thought it hadn't worked but 2 weeks after I could walk with minimal pain.  I had cortisone injections previously that did nothing at all. 2 yrs later & I have had left side ablation. Great. 2 weeks later, right side. Was very painful procedure this time. ( WHY. Do the nurses say " it's just an injection? You try it love!) 
    3 weeks later I'm still waiting for it to work. Still can't stand up for longwr than 10 minutes maximum. So worried about my job. I've been off for 3 months. My job very physical, standing, lifting, carrying up + downstairs. 
    No "reasonable adjustments" they can make, that IS my job! 
    I have DDD, 5 x lumbar discs bulging, plus facet joint syndrome which Dr says is very bad. Wondering how on earth I can work for another 8 yrs until retirement. 

• sciencegirl
    sciencegirl Community member Posts: 11 Listener
    Ps. It's called  Nerve ABLATION.  Only saying as someone could be searching and not find right discussion. 
    When I said at hospital that it was painful the nurses all said, " no it's not"!  I think level of pain depends on how inflamed ypu are at time of procedure. I've had it twice where it was fine. This last time my right side has been awful. Painkillers not touched it. Procedure was v painful. 

Brightness