Phased Return - Fit For Purpose — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Phased Return - Fit For Purpose

mkultra
mkultra Community member Posts: 4 Connected
edited April 2019 in Work and employment
Hi,

I was wondering if someone could help. I have returned to work after long term sick. I'm on a 8 week phased return during this period I have been given a couple of training courses and nothing else to do. I have been told that after the 8 weeks phased I will be expected to take on my full role.

I suffer from Depression and GAD and have requested that the phased return commences once I have been assigned my normal duties. From my perspective this would mean that I would have a gradual return into my role which I am assuming is the whole point of a phased return (maybe I'm wrong I don't know).

I am anxious at the of being given nothing in terms of work for 8 weeks then being thrown in at the deep end. And therefore feel the the phased return is not fit for purpose. Please can someone please advise if my thoughts around this are correct or that what is being proposed as a phased return by my employer is standard

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi 
    A phased return usually consists of reduced hours or reduced duties to adjust to being back at work and this should increase over the given time to then return to full hours or duties. Your phased return should be reviewed on a regular basis to ensure you are coping with the plan. The aim would be that you would be able to complete full duties by end of the agreed time. 
    Hope this helps 
  • mkultra
    Thanks Janer,

Yes that what I thought. However, it looks as though I will be given no work during my phased return and then thrown in at the deep end. I have explained this and the risk to my health numerous times but my employer just ignores me and states that I am at work and the phased return is in progress.

Any thoughts if this reasonable?
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Hi @mkultra you may find our page on reasonable adjustment useful. Sorry to hear you have been feeling this way, how are you doing today?
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi again
    Have you actually returned to work. What type of work do you do. If you have returned what are you actually doing. 
    As for is it reasonable it's hard to comment without knowing details. It is strange to return and do nothing for 8 weeks then suddenly return to full duties. 
    What did your gp recommend when they signed you fit to return . 
    If you need legal advice I suggest you contact acas 
  • mkultra
    Thanks Antonia, Janet,

In short I'm feeling down and anxious. I am not office based so over this 8 week period (I'm on week 6) and have only been given some basic training  (which isn't of much use considering the lengthy absence I've had) I haven't been provided with any adhoc work related duties even though I have suggested it. My GP recommended (plus OH) a phased return.

They have provided me with a gradual build up of hours over this period but absolutely nothing in terms of work to do during this period.

I have already told my employer that I need to be eased into work and that what is currently occurring isn't that instead its just building up severe anxiety around what comes at the end of the eight weeks. And any progress I had made before returning to work has deteriorated. I do feel that they know this and that's why they are doing it. I guess because  they are hoping that I go off sick and then they can start some kind of disciplinary procedures.

Brightness