Any tips to make life easier — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Any tips to make life easier

witchyb
witchyb Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi im 40 something with PVD and a bulging disc in the back .. at the mo I'm off sick , but hoping to go back to work soon if they can find me a suitable job. My consultant won't operate or put stents in as he says stents won't work and I'm too high a risk for the bypass .. they want to wait till my leg falls off I think or when there's more money !! .I managing ok but my life style has seriously taken a dent .. I can't ride horses any more (beloved horse has to be sold ) dog walking is now a no no and I'm so fustrated I'm not old and I'm finding everyday life getting harder and harder. Do you guys out there have any tips on how to make life easier.

Comments

• Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Welcome to the community @witchyb thank you for sharing this with us. How are you doing today? There's some tips on the NHS website. I am sorry to hear your horse was sold and dog walking has not been possible. Have you been in touch with your GP or Consultant, to see if there are any other options available? 

I am happy have joined the community, we are a friendly bunch and will support you as much as we can. :) 
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Some tips to simplify life as much as possible:
    Be positive. A physical disability should not stop you from living your life. 
    Be confident in yourself. Many people with physical disabilities can and do work independently. You are just as capable as a able bodied person. Never doubt your capabilities. 

• witchyb
    witchyb Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thanks guys for your support.. part of me is telling my self off for being a moaning mini because I know there are others who are far worse off and part of me is struggling with the lack of movement and the pain. I guess I just need to accept that my life is now different but just as rewarding in a different way 
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    I find cycling far easier (and less painful) than walking, and I can get further. Not sure that's an option?
    Stretch, every time you have a moment, stretch. Keeps the rest of you from locking up.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    These are my top tips to make life easier:

1-Don’t feel bad about asking for help. When DS was in the NICU I got in contact with a social worker who was a walking mine of information and support as well. She was the one who helped me out with the paperwork for benefits. She also gave me a information pack on adaptive equipment that may also be helpful. Join a parent support group or see if you can find any other source of information and support. 
    2- Stay calm. Don’t panic in a emergency. Get exercise and make time for yourself too. Your life doesn’t revolve around your child. When DS and DD were babies I returned to work it helped me cope better. Seriously. I carry a notebook with me for appointments and therapy sessions as well.
    3- Take a break. Sundays are a disability free day in our household. We have a rule- no aspect of disability will be discussed on that day. It is the only topic off limits. We can talk about everything else apart from that subject. This is not as hard as it originally seems. 

Brightness