finding vehicles — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

finding vehicles

Aliciabell
Aliciabell Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hello everyone, I was delighted to find out Wednesday -  I have been awarded standard daily living and enhanced mobility, after only applying for PIP 7 weeks ago, I have had assessment and also received a decision. 
On Wednesday I searched the motability sites for a vehicle and found one I liked for additional payment of £249 (which is fine), however, have searched online this evening and the car I liked is no longer listed and they start at £1,249.  Does this normally happen? would I be best to just go to a dealership and ask what they have?
many thanks

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Aliciabell welcome to the community! Have you checked out the Motability website?
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2019
    Hi @Aliciabell and welcome

Congratulations on your award, may I ask how long you have been given ?

I am sure you will get some great advice from our members. Have you decided on going with a motability car ?
    It can be very tempting to go with a new, bright and shiny chariot but beware of the pitfalls. Without knowing your circumstances,  many of our members know it is not guaranteed that your award will be renewed when the time comes and their cars had to go back.

I would suggest that you think about other options as well, for example using your award to buy a car which cannot be taken away. There are of course other expenses that go along with owning a car. Road fund licence is free, but you would be responsible for servicing, insurance and breakdown cover, which I am sure you are aware of.

Sorry  to put a damper on your good news but just wanted to make sure that you considered all options.

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Aliciabell
    Aliciabell Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Thank you for responding so quickly. I have been given my award for 3 years. I’ve never had a car newer than 10 years old and my current one is veering to the grave, so getting a new little one would work well for me. 
    Unfortunately with my disability I will never get better and have been told by Drs and consultants that I will be even more disabled within 5 years. 

Ami2301 - thank you, I was looking on the motability site which is where I noticed a number of cars had been removed and / or gone up in price 
  • exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering
    Hi @Aliciabell......you will probably find that Motability change their deposit/initial payments every 6 months to coincide with the changes in the registration plates.  I'm certain that I lost out when I got my car just before the payment went down!!  I wasn't best pleased.  Keep shopping around because there a lot of good deals out there even in the second-hand market if you've £60 per week to spend.  Good advice too from @CockneyRebel.    Good hunting.

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

Brightness