Osteoarthritis — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Osteoarthritis

CARL58
CARL58 Community member Posts: 178 Courageous
Hi I've had to have a heart to heart talk with CARL58 about his osteoarthritis it's come to light it's both his hips & spine was just his left hip hospital are saying we need to relook at what can be done ihe cons out weigh the pros is blood clots,heat attacks,increased seizures, bleeding ulcers.and alot more.upto a year recovery for him I don't blame CARL58 it they offer operation this time around he will refuse it there's to many Risk's attached the risk factors are 60% that's way to high we know the pain and mobility is a problem but CARL58 other problems make it a dangerous procedure.so for his best interest it's a non starter you can't die from osteoarthritis but under the knife it's a true possibility.some people may not agree with CARL58 decision but there not in his position it's major surgery with no guarantees before someone jumps the gun if he was stronger not suffering from mental health PTSD depression chronic anxiety epilepsy brain injury etc he would have it done but to go through this type of surgery it could cause more problems and that's a very high Risk even for someone who is well so if it's only pain relief then I'll support CARL58 100% rather have him here than having added Risk's.jen

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Jen

There are no easy decisions but it sounds as though together you have come to a very sensible course of action. It is fantastic what you do for Carl, many people are left at the mercy of the doctors but with you in his corner he has a great friend. As always we are here to support you both if and when needed
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • CARL58
    CARL58 Community member Posts: 178 Courageous
    Cockneyrebel that's really appreciated CARL58 was left vunerable didn't have any support couldn't shop cook bathe take medication he was just left basically that was 10yrs ago he wasn't even on an even keel took me 8 months to get him to a reasonable state I've reported social services taken up the fight to get him sorted care in the community doesn't exist these days animals are treated better I'm not trained but I know his illness inside out and I know he appreciates everything I do and that's reward for me  someone upsets him then they deal with me he's had it rough but no more CARL58 problems would be less if power's to be had been involved to start with jen

Brightness