people don't understand that some disabilities are not visual — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

people don't understand that some disabilities are not visual

Lisen
Lisen Community member Posts: 3 Listener

I suffer from mental disabilities, Borderline Personality Disorder, PTSD and depression. Much of this is because of my childhood.
I try to live my life as normal as possible, but what sometimes creates bumps in the road for me is my flashbacks and depressive periods.
It becomes a bit hopeless sometimes when people don't understand that some disabilities are not visual...

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @Lisen and welcome to our community. A lot of people here have hidden impairments and will be able to relate to your experiences, so I hope you'll be able to stick around and get some support if you need it.
    Please let us know if you have any questions or need any advice and I hope to see you around the community.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Lisen

Welcome it’s great to meet you this afternoon.

I am one of the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

Yes “Hidden Disabilities” are very very hard to get across.

I have myself got “Many Many Many”

Please let me know if you need any help getting around???

@steve51
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Lisen welcome to the community! I understand how you feel, as many of us do. I suffer with flashbacks too, not as much as I used to but they still lurk about. The one thing that has helped me is closure. We are here any time if you would like to talk :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Welcome to the community @Lisen How are you doing today? 
    Please feel free to join our mental health discussions and speak to other members, who may relate to what you are going through.

Brightness