Careers allowance & careers element — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Careers allowance & careers element

billyd966
billyd966 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
hi ,   My dad recently suffered from a stroke and is claiming PIP he got his award though the other day and is entitled to enhanced rate on both sections.     My mum his his primary career and receives universal credit and looking to claim as a Carer for him , but after looking online I see there is a couple of caters benefits she might be entitled to ,  the obvious carers allowance but I’ve also seen of a carers element of universal credit , is she only entitled to the element or is she entitled to both if she qualifies ?   We are a little unsure and would be grateful for any points in the right direction.

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi billyd966

I would suggest that you get trained help from CAB, Welfare rights or similar so that a full benefits checkcan be done
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • billyd966
    Hi billyd966

I would suggest that you get trained help from CAB, Welfare rights or similar so that a full benefits checkcan be done
    Thanks ! They did apply for pip though CAB so I’ll point them back in that direction.
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @billyd966 keep us updated and let us know if you need any further help :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • billyd966
    It was just to see if there was anyone that knows if it is a possibility to claim both 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    edited April 2019
    Hi @billyd966
    Carers Allowance is paid weekly but is taken £ for £ out of Universal Credit (however it ensures National Insurance contributions are made for the carer so it's good to claim.) The Universal Credit Carers Element is then added on once you make UC aware you're caring for someone. 
    Hope that helps but if you have any other questions just let me know. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • billyd966
    Thanks for that Adrian! That clears it up a little ,   So i guess if she wants to be better off she should claim for both 

Brightness