Holidays — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Holidays

vikingqueen
vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,410 Disability Gamechanger
Good afternoon to you all, now the weather is brightening up who's thinking of a holiday, 
anyone booked to go away?

Comments

• Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Good Afternoon @vikingqueen How are you? Nothing booked, haven't been on a holiday in years. But looking forward to enjoying the weather, fingers crossed that it stays warm. Have you booked your holiday or made any plans?
  • vikingqueen
    i am feeling quite good today thank you @Antonia_Scope,  i will be flying to Turkey next month and i cannot wait
    had a bad year health wise so looking forward to spending  time in the sun 
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Hi @vikingqueen that's good to hear. That's lovely to hear. I am sorry to hear you had a bad time this year, I hope you're feeling a bit better now? Yes, you deserve it and I hope you have a fantastic time. Do you have anything planned to do when you're there?

• vikingqueen
    @Antonia_Scope think it will be sun lounger, pool, repeat, i cannot walk too far but where we stay has everything you need on the doorstep,
    it is just going to be a very relaxed holiday
  • exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering

Good for you @vikingqueen and I'm sure you'll have a great time.  Unfortunately for me my passport is due to expire in the next few weeks and I don't think that any more foreign holidays will be on the agenda. 

My last foreign holiday was to Lanzarote where I hired a mobility scooter for the time I was there    My wife and daughter had a great time in Turkey 2 years ago.

Trouble is that in years past I've travelled virtually the length and breadth of this country including Northern Ireland and the Isle of Man and I'm looking for somewhere I haven't seen but closer to home. 

I find that Premier Inn, Holiday Inn Express, and Travelodge are usually very good regarding disabled facilities.  I'd welcome suggestions from anyone to anywhere as the summer season will be here soon.  

HAVE FUN !!

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• Antonia_Alumni
    edited April 2019
    Sounds good, have a lovely time. :)@vikingqueen
    We have some advice and tips on holidays, you may be interested in.
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Thanks for the suggestions @exdvr I hope you find somewhere close and have a good time. Keep us posted :)
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi all 
    I would be really interested in any recommendations for holidays abroad suitable for wheelchair bound. I haven't been abroad since I became disabled as I'm not sure I could cope I only have my 12 year old son to accompany me and don't want to spoil a holiday for him by having to push me around everywhere . 
  • vikingqueen
    hi @exdvr 
    i have only just got a new passport so i am determined to make the most of it... :)  ( she says full of confidence)
    i don't rate my disability as that bad although i know it is going to get worse in the future, so until then i shall plod on with life. 
  • vikingqueen
    hi @janer1967
    i believe Benidorm is geared up for disabled people, my mother-in-law went until old age took over, she hired a mobility scooter over there and even took her own on occasions

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2019

Hello @janer1967 There are lots on line. Travel companies.

It is finding the right one.

For you and your son.

Have a look under disabled holidays.

I know there are companies out there to help and assist you.

Wish you well.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes

Brightness