Is my pain here to stay? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is my pain here to stay?

Casper1964
Casper1964 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi  Iv just been diagnosed with lumber spinal stenosis with bulging disc.. the pain I’m in is unreal, I struggle to walk just around the house, never mind trying to get out the house, I’m only 54 and this pain as stopped me living a normal life.. I’m due to see a pain consultant soon
im taking pain killers but not work for me, still in bad pain down both legs and bottom of my back..
can any one tell me what the future will be for me ? Is this alful pain here to stay?? Cheers  

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Casper1964 welcome to the community! Sorry to hear this. Unfortunately, we are not medical professionals therefore we cannot advise or predict the prognosis of conditions. However, we can help you in finding ways to make the most of what you can do or any other information you may need :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Casper1964

Welcome to our online community/family.

I am one of the “Community Champions” here at Scope.

Unfortunately we are all here to offer you both “Help & Support” 

We can only tell you about our own experiences.

All of our members are in nowhere “Medical Experts”

I would say that you are best to wait for your appointment with “Pain Consultant”

I took a list off questions to my “Consultant” at my initial appointment.

Please please let me know if there’s anything else that we can help you with????

@steve51
  • zakblood
    zakblood Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    well i have my first MRI and XRay from 1999, which a senior consultant has hand written notes on it stating what i had, the formal name, and comments as it's a teaching hospital, and a reply to my question which is was more than happy to answer, and then when asked wrote the reply on my notes, spinal arthritis, or spondylarthritis , canal stenosis with posterior disc bulges at 5 points in the spine, offered and refused spinal injection , degeneration of the lumbar spine, will get worse with age and wear and tare, so all the other 4 since have been worse, as he predicted and still nothing they can do for me, but the DWP says im fit and fine, as just failed a ESA i';ve been told a few days ago, you need to goto the pain clinic, and get a set or a given one which works for you and your other tablets if you on any, i started off on co- proxamol and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory but was kept on them too long and had 8 perforation in my stomach lining before being took off them, had more than a few since, some worked some gave me side effects worse than almost the condition, now i'm on Tramadol 50mg 8 times a day, hardly feel a thing, which isn't a good thing either, as then you can do something silly and bend and twist etc, making it twice as rough the next day, but no one should suffer with pain imo, there's always a combo one or another which works, it all depends on if you can get on with the side effects, as diarrhea or constipation aren't fun for anyone with a bad back either, so good luck, your not alone, but sorry to say i've lived with it for 20 years now, and as i'm getting older, now aged 52 this year, can't lie to you as your's is also age related ware and tare
  • zakblood
    zakblood Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    while i live almost pain free most of the time, i'm stiff as a board, worse when wet or damp, so winter is bad, summer can be better or more livable or survivable should i say, still get times in each day or night i swear as i do something silly and get a reminder to not do it again, any time soon, so yes pain will always be there, as painkiller only mask a given amount of pain signals to the brain, and once you on any for any length of time, you and your body gets used to it, so any extra or more pain, and you will feel it, tooth ache for me was my crying day, as the abscess in my tooth should have given me pain well before i knew it was there, in an none pain killer person, it would have been found and sorted sooner, with me, i didn't feel it until it was too late and it started to poison me and my blood, but that's something else you will need to learn, pain killers and masking other symptoms etc etc, as always get referred to the pain clinic by your GP, mines a goddess and send me everywhere, but not all GP's are the same, some i've had have been useless

Brightness