Carer wanting to set up business — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carer wanting to set up business

MrsRed
MrsRed Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello everyone, this is my first time posting on these boards, apologies if I've posted in the wrong part. 

I'm a carer to my husband we are claiming PIP ESA and Carers allowance, I'm desperately wanting to set up my own business. I'm unable to get a clear answer on if this is something I can do without affecting my husband and I's money?. I'm aware carers can earn up to £120 per week or up to 16hrs, but unclear if that would affect our ESA.

I'm very apprehensive as it took us a long time to get onto PIP (Court hearing and all) I don't want to do anything to jeopardize it, especially with not knowing if my business idea will take of as I hope and even if it does it will be years before I see anything in the way of a profit I'm sure. 

If anyone could help I'll be very grateful, Thank you.

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @MrsRed and welcome

Depending on whether your ESA is contribution based or income related you may be able to do permitted work.
    You should get trained advice from an agency near you
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @MrsRed, have you managed to find support at an agency near you, or figured out if your husband’s ESA is contribution based or income related? 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger

Hello @MrsRed  Please can I suggest speak to your local county council. They often have business advisors and also could tell you the benefit situation.

This is some thing I had to do when I set up mine. A long time ago.

Wish you success in everything you do.

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes

Brightness