Are Motability cars the best option under PIP ? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Are Motability cars the best option under PIP ?

CockneyRebel
CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
edited May 2019 in Transport and travel
Unlike DLA when many people had lifetime awards and their car was secure, under PIP, with its regular reviews, we hear almost weekly that someone has lost their benefit and had to return their car. If you eventually win back your award there is no guarantee that the same won't happen again at your next review.

Is a Motability vehicle the best use of your enhanced mobility benefit ?
If you require adaptations then you may have little option but if you drive a standard car, whether manual or automatic there are other options that you may consider. The first of which is do you really need a car ?
Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste

Comments

• pixie61
    pixie61 Community member Posts: 67 Courageous
    I Lost my car on pip, after being in the scheme on DLA  for 11 years! So I’m now wondering, why is there a  motabilty scheme  if no one can use it? If we get reviewed every couple of years, how is the motability scheme beneficial to us who are disabled, we have the car to help us get around, whether we drive it or a relative drives us around in it. 
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    To answer the first part of your question I have a mobility scooter. The scheme allows physically disabled people to apply for a car or mobility scooter. For me personally since I cannot physically operate a car (the theoretical part of the test is not difficult) I find a mobility scooter the better option. The money also is used to help cover costs of additional adaptive equipment. Here is a link to a article about the scheme https://www.motability.co.uk/cars-scooters-and-powerchairs/important-things-cars-and-wavs/cars-test-drives
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    I have driven since 17 yrs old I had a full licence then at age 62 I was diagnosed with MS had my licence reduced to a basic car licence but still had my 8 year old car got PIP basic on both then my mobility got worst I can still drive got basic care but enhanced mobility, I could have a mobility car all free using my PIP allowance. But as I do 3000 miles a year not me driving it all my daughters are insured to drive the car. My exspences for having my own car are breakdown £80, insurance £250, MOT£45+"any work a biannual service £150 and any fuel I use which you got to buy if you have a mobility car. Plus I have my own scooter bought before claiming PIP and a boot one for hospital and shopping, holidays. I don't drink or smoke but out and about dog walking 5 to 7 miles a day I've done over 800 plus miles since December 2018.
  • pixie61
    pixie61 Community member Posts: 67 Courageous
    April2018mum I understand what the scheme is for. My question is, if we keep getting reviewed, and our enhanced award downgraded, then we can never have a car. As soon as we get one, it’s taken away cos of the reviews & there are no guarantees, you are given enhanced again! The pip system is so precarious, that they can take away the award or give it to you with each review! Uncertainty all the time, so therefore, getting a car isn’t an option when we’re reviewed every few years!
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    pixie61 said:
    April2018mum I understand what the scheme is for. My question is, if we keep getting reviewed, and our enhanced award downgraded, then we can never have a car. As soon as we get one, it’s taken away cos of the reviews & there are no guarantees, you are given enhanced again! The pip system is so precarious, that they can take away the award or give it to you with each review! Uncertainty all the time, so therefore, getting a car isn’t an option when we’re reviewed every few years!
    This discussion is over since I’m not under any obligation to help rude disrespectful people with anything 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,822 Scope online community team
    Hello everyone. Please be mindful of our community guidelines and remember that some posts don't always convey the tone in which they were intended.
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness