Backdated ESA payments — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Backdated ESA payments

nnic98
nnic98 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
hey I hope somebody could help me because I am FREAKING OUT! I sent my form back about the underpayments from 2011 (well my mum filled it all in because I was terrified of doing it Incase I looked greedy and I generally just worry about all sorts!!) and it is around 12.5 weeks since! I randomly checked my bank this morning and there is a HUGE amount pending to go into my bank, in fact 5 separate amounts (4 of the same and one smaller amount!) but totalling an amount I have never seen in my life! I’m so scared it’s wrong but I daren't ring up to check (anxiety!!) so what do I do? Do they send the payment in smaller amounts I’m sure I read that they can’t pay one single payment above £5,000 before it has to go through MP’s? So do they send smaller amounts to avoid that? Sorry for rambling I’m just So scared and confused  ???

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,348 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

Yes, payments can be in smaller amounts. It's not unusual for payments to go into a bank before a letter is received. People have been owed ridiculously huge amounts because of the underpayments. Some have received more than £20,000.

The good news is if it's more than £5,000 then it's disregarded for the life of the ESA award for all means tested benefits. I'm sure you'll receive a letter in the next few days.

Enjoy the money, they owe it you!
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Nice one, as poppy said don't feel guilty enjoy the lump sum it's what your owed. Should have been paid in the past, you managed without it so be careful and cautious how you spend it. 
  • poppy123456
    Cautious? why? I'd be treating myself for sure. There's no need to be cautious with spending it because you can't be accused of deprivation of capital anytime in the future. My advice, ENJOY!!
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Dotty123
    Dotty123 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    Hi I rang esa again about getting my money now tribunal sent letter they say they still havnt heard so can sent them my copy do you think that will work to get my money backdated and sorted solicitor says regulation 30 (3) in the esa ref say they should be paying me is that correct I no I go on bout this but iv gone no esa since feb be nice to have it back sorry if annoy you 
  • poppy123456
    You don't annoy me Dotty but i don't know what else to advise you with, other than what i've already said.

Ring ESA and tell them you've heard back from HMCTS that they've accepted your Tribunal request and give them your reference number that's on the top of the letter.

Then email the Tribunal and ask them if they've contacted DWP.

If this doesn't work then you'll need to speak to someone from an advice agency like CAB and they'll ring DWP in your behalf.
  • Dotty123
    Iv asked if they want my ref no they said no il sort it thank you 
  • poppy123456
    I know it's frustrating but even when they do receive the letter, it can still take a few weeks after that for your payments to re-start and your backdated money to paid to you.
  • Dotty123
  • jakki31
    jakki31 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    nnic98 said:
    hey I hope somebody could help me because I am FREAKING OUT! I sent my form back about the underpayments from 2011 (well my mum filled it all in because I was terrified of doing it Incase I looked greedy and I generally just worry about all sorts!!) and it is around 12.5 weeks since! I randomly checked my bank this morning and there is a HUGE amount pending to go into my bank, in fact 5 separate amounts (4 of the same and one smaller amount!) but totalling an amount I have never seen in my life! I’m so scared it’s wrong but I daren't ring up to check (anxiety!!) so what do I do? Do they send the payment in smaller amounts I’m sure I read that they can’t pay one single payment above £5,000 before it has to go through MP’s? So do they send smaller amounts to avoid that? Sorry for rambling I’m just So scared and confused  ???
    Hi I received one back payment yet mine is ment to be backdated from September 2014 the money I received was only 2 and a half k but I've been working it out and it doesn't add up I'm just wondering would I be expecting more or is that it I'm just lost and confused 
  • poppy123456
    jakki31 said:

Hi I received one back payment yet mine is ment to be backdated from September 2014 the money I received was only 2 and a half k but I've been working it out and it doesn't add up I'm just wondering would I be expecting more or is that it I'm just lost and confused 
    The Enhanced disability premium that's automatically paid on top of Income related ESA was £16.40 per week, from April 2018 (less in previous years)

The only other disability premium that's payable on ESA is the Severe disability premium which is £64.30 per week from April 2018 (less in previous years) BUT to receive this there's criteria, which is as follows. You must receive either DLA mid/high rate care or PIP daily living. No one must claim carers allowance for looking after you and you must live alone or be classed as living alone. So, does any of this apply to you?

The other disability premium that available is NOT payable when claiming ESA.
  • jakki31
    jakki31 said:

The Enhanced disability premium that's automatically paid on top of Income related ESA was £16.40 per week, from April 2018 (less in previous years)

The only other disability premium that's payable on ESA is the Severe disability premium which is £64.30 per week from April 2018 (less in previous years) BUT to receive this there's criteria, which is as follows. You must receive either DLA mid/high rate care or PIP daily living. No one must claim carers allowance for looking after you and you must live alone or be classed as living alone. So, does any of this apply to you?

The other disability premium that available is NOT payable when claiming ESA.
    Thank you poppy for replying I am on pip daily living but didn't start claiming it till 2015 but the amount I received for underpayment still doesn't add up they only gave me one payment for £2447k so I'm just confused 
  • poppy123456
    Do you live alone or classed as living alone and does anyone claim carers allowance for looking after you?
  • jakki31
    Do you live alone or classed as living alone and does anyone claim carers allowance for looking after you?
    No don't live alone and yes there is someone claiming carers allowance 
  • poppy123456
    Then it will just be the Enhanced disability premium. How much you would have received will depend on your circumstances in the dates which you were assessed from. You should have received a full breakdown of the decision.

If you disagree then you need to contact DWP because it's impossible to tell you if that amount is correct or not.  You can't compare someone else to yourself because all our circumstances are different. Nnic98 may have been entitled to the severe disability premium which would have given them a massive amount of back dated money.
  • jakki31
    Then it will just be the Enhanced disability premium. How much you would have received will depend on your circumstances in the dates which you were assessed from. You should have received a full breakdown of the decision.

If you disagree then you need to contact DWP because it's impossible to tell you if that amount is correct or not.  You can't compare someone else to yourself because all our circumstances are different. Nnic98 may have been entitled to the severe disability premium which would have given them a massive amount of back dated money.
    Yes I understand that but it the letter I received it just said £16.40 I think for a top up from September 2014 till April when I received my back payment I added that up it just didn't work out to the amount I received that's what I was confused about but yes I suppose I'll have to phone them but it's going to be to late to appeal as I only had a month to do it ?
  • poppy123456
    What dates was it from? \You say September 2014 until when?
  • jakki31
    What dates was it from? \You say September 2014 until when?
    It says from 04 September 2014 to 27th March 2019
  • poppy123456
    There may have been times during that period where you weren't entitled to the top up, without knowing all of your circumstances it's totally impossible to advise. You really will need to speak to DWP about this. If you haven't had a full breakdown of the money owed then i'd ask for that as well but you should have received that when the decision was made.

Ring them tomorrow, they open at 8.
  • jakki31
    There may have been times during that period where you weren't entitled to the top up, without knowing all of your circumstances it's totally impossible to advise. You really will need to speak to DWP about this. If you haven't had a full breakdown of the money owed then i'd ask for that as well but you should have received that when the decision was made.

There was a letter on there for the 2014 to 2015 it was £15.55 the it went up to £15.75 it says extra money for looking after you at home then 13/08/15 my Pip is on there but £0.00 next to it it's weird there's two sections cont and ur ones £115.10 and the other is £125.55 
  • jakki31
    jakki31 said:

There was a letter on there for the 2014 to 2015 it was £15.55 the it went up to £15.75 it says extra money for looking after you at home then 13/08/15 my Pip is on there but £0.00 next to it it's weird there's two sections cont and ur ones £115.10 and the other is £125.55 
    Sorry I ment ir 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.