If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Having difficulties logging in or resetting your password?

Please email [email protected]

ESA backpay

NewfiesmumNewfiesmum Posts: 3Member Listener
Hi. I have an adult son who is mentally disabled and I've only just realised that he is receiving ESA. I handle his money via internet banking and I have Power of Attorney, but it seems his disability allowances just changed to ESA. He usually sends me his mail to deal with as he cannot read.

I have been hearing about ESA back payments but I assumed that DWP would simply pay it if it was due. Now I have come across this forum and am reading about people claiming. Not sure what to do now, as it is all supposed to be paid out by April.

Any advice?


  • poppy123456poppy123456 Posts: 16,115Community champion Disability Gamechanger

    The underpayments concern those that transferred from Incapacity benefit to ESA many years ago. Those that transferred across were placed onto Contributions based ESA and weren't assessed for any income related top up.

    If your son did transfer from Incapacity benefit then DWP will contact him and send a form to fill in, as they're in the process of contacting everyone that transferred across. If you are his appointee for his benefits (not power of Attorney, as that's different) Then they will contact you instead. They won't just pay it, people have to be assessed because the income related top up is a means tested benefit.
  • NewfiesmumNewfiesmum Posts: 3Member Listener
    Thank you. I think he was transferred from Severe Disablement Allowance. I have also been misled about this payment.  I don't think he's entitled to any backdated payment.

    Thank you.
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Posts: 16,115Community champion Disability Gamechanger
    Severe disablement allowance was many years ago. It was Incapacity benefit after that and then ESA. I'm not sure what you mean by being mislead and then saying you don't think he's entitled to any backdated money.

    If he's claiming ESA now and he transferred from Incapacity benefit many years ago then DWP will contact him or you, if you're his appointee.
  • NewfiesmumNewfiesmum Posts: 3Member Listener
    I don't know when his benefit changed to ESA, to be honest. I only noticed when a friend started telling me about it and I checked. Anyway, if the DWP will contact him, that's all I really wanted to know. He will send it to me, as he always does.

    Thanks for your help.
Sign in or join us to comment.